Thread: 1/16 bit tutorial

Default 1/16 bit tutorial

I just finally purchased the 1/16 cutting but and have been looking around for a tutorial on using it along with some does and don'ts as well. There doesn't seem to be anything that covers it that I can find. Am I missing it or is there just nothing out there?

I see that I need to set the board thickness to 3/16 even though the software tells you not to but not much else.

Thanks,
    dave

Quote Originally Posted by dltccf View Post
    I just finally purchased the 1/16 cutting but and have been looking around for a tutorial on using it along with some does and don'ts as well. There doesn't seem to be anything that covers it that I can find. Am I missing it or is there just nothing out there?

I see that I need to set the board thickness to 3/16 even though the software tells you not to but not much else.

Thanks,
    dave

There are basically two different ways of carving. Raster and vector. Vector carving is the same as assigning a bit to follow a vector or line. Raster carving makes many successive passes back and forth across the board plunging and lifting the bit as it moves and incrementing each pass by a small amount to achieve a "3D" effect. The 1/16" tapered bit is used almost exclusively with raster carving.

The minimum thickness for carving is 1/2". The Carvewright can carve on boards that are less than 1/2" thick but a sled or carrier board will be required.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 03-29-2017 at 12:24 PM.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    There are basically two different ways of carving. Raster and vector. Vector carving is the same as assigning a bit to follow a vector or line. Raster carving makes many successive passes back and forth across the board plunging and lifting the bit as it moves and incrementing each pass by a small amount to achieve a "3D" effect. The 1/16" tapered bit is used almost exclusively with raster carving.

The minimum thickness for carving is 1/2". The Carvewright can carve on boards that are less than 1/2" thick but a sled or carrier board will be required.
    Steve,

I am talking about the 1/16 cutting bit not the carving bit.

Thanks,
    dave

Thanks,
    dave
    Hi Dave,

Here is a link to a tutorial how to cutout material thinner than 0.5" thick. Pages 2 through 5

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/ti...cks_Sept08.pdf
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 03-29-2017 at 01:17 PM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Note that the new versions of Designer are geared to only cut 3/16" with the 1/16" cutting bit. This is to give a little margin for cut through. You can, however, still cut 1/4" material if you start with a board of 1/4" thickness. What you cannot do is change the board thickness to 1/4" after your project has a cut through on the 3/16" board.

(The same is true for the 1/8" cutting bit with the 1" Vs 15/16" board thickness.)

Thanks Michael, you always have the best tutorials

LHR shared a tip years ago that I use to cut plastic tags with a 1/16th end mill style bit. I use the very inexpensive Circuit Board bits with a 1/8 inch shaft inserted into a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch holder. I setup my vector lines then assign the 1/4 inch bull nose bit. This locks the feed rate into what I call 1st gear. Normally the machine uses 2 speeds of feed rate. The faster speed has in the past snapped my 1/16th bits. Telling the machine I use a 1/4 inch bit and it stays in the low feed rate making for a nice cut and no snapped bits.

This method does not leave TABS so I use 1/4 strips of double backed tape to hold the loose tags.

I bought a ER-11 Chuck with a 1/4 inch shaft insert on the back and a 1/8 inch chuck. My goal is to make a substitute for the 1/8 inch cutting bit using this setup and the 1/8 th inch shaft 1/8 th Circuit Board bits. My other rig that I use the 1/16th inch bits is TOO SHORT and won't give me the length for a LHR 1/8th inch cutting bit. This ER Version should.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC02590a_WEB.jpg   DSC01454_WEB.jpg   DSC02590_WEB.jpg   DSC05437_WEB.jpg  

DSC05341_WEB.jpg   DSC02306_WEB.jpg   DSC09393_WEB.jpg   DSC09390_WEB.jpg  

Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 03-29-2017 at 04:14 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Steve,

I am talking about the 1/16 cutting bit not the carving bit.

Thanks,
    dave
    Man, I totally missed the mark on that one.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Man, I totally missed the mark on that one.
    I've been there, done that plenty of times myself, Steve!
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by mtylerfl View Post
    I've been there, done that plenty of times myself, Steve!

me too.

dave