Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old QC chuck stuck

Default Old QC chuck stuck

I have an old machine with a QC chuck that I'm trying to get up and running after sitting for a couple of years.
    Everything seems to work OK except the QC chuck. It's stuck.
    It turns and cuts fine but the bit won't release. I try to pull up on the retaining ring and nothing happens. I've even tried using a Crescent wrench set to just smaller than the diameter of the ring and propped up with a block for leverage. No luck.
    It's been sprayed with WD40 in every crack, no luck.

Any suggestions?

Try working/snapping the retaining ring up and down several times in a row and wiggling the bit and adapter back and forth after snapping the ring. It might take several attempts. Do you still have the bit removal tool?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

[QUOTE=fwharris;264361]Try working/snapping the retaining ring up and down several times in a row and wiggling the bit and adapter back and forth after snapping the ring. It might take several attempts. Do you still have the bit removal tool?[/Q

The retaining ring won't move, that's what's stuck.

Large pliers to see if you can twist/turn the retaining ring on direction or the other. You will probably need to hold the bit adapter with another pair of pliers. It sounds like maybe one of the set screws on the bit adapter might of loosened up and backed out.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

It would be good to have a wrench to fit the top of the chuck. It would help in the twisting. If all else fails, you can pull the plastic cover down off of the chuck and get access to the allen screws inside.

The outside cover of the QC might be stuck in the UP position. Try tapping on the top edge with a screwdriver blade and a thumping tool.

Next tap around the outside while turning.

Next get a deep socket and place it over the bit and up against the bit holder from under the truck. Tap it, forcing the bit up into the QC without damaging the end of the bit.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Put a bunch of towels inside the machine under the QC. Spray/flood the heck in every crevice of the QC with WD-40. Let it sit for an hour or so. Try wriggling, popping, etc. again. If the bit doesn't release, flood some more, wait some more, and try again. It will eventually release.

Then, save your money and upgrade to the CarveTight chuck when budget permits.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

As you can see from all of the "old timer" comments; we have all been there done that!

Once you get the bit out, you will likely find BB Marks where the QC has Jack Hammered the BB Marks into the Bit Holders.

Many of us have old QC's and even some new ones laying around. The trick to replacing the QC is using the proper heat to melt the forever RED Lock tite. I found the best heat source was a old Soldering Iron inserted into the QC. I have snapped a few hardened square drive bits too trying to get a bad QC off. And have damaged a few beyond repair. IF LHR offers a core refund on a QC Truck when you buy a CarveTite that would be the way to go.

If you insert a new bit holder in a worn QC it will get BB Marks in as little as one project. SO we all learned that once you get BB Marks you must change the QC and all bit holders. Putting a BB Mark bit holder in a new QC will cause the new QC to become BAD due to the High Speed "Flopping Around" of the bad Bit holder.

Good Luck getting it out. All Old Timers have had to deal with this.... CarveTite is the best answer. I once had the QC Spit out a V60 bit that hit the clear cover shutting off the carving by opening the cover slightly. I went with the ROCK that was the first aftermarket Chuck that is no longer being made.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC05806_WEB.jpg   DSC05810_WEB.jpg   DSC05824_WEB.jpg  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Going to chime in here because I am having the same issue.
    I had a carve go wrong without any error messages. I had difficulty getting the bit out of the QC chuck.
    I noticed the "BB" marks on the sides of the bit holder.
    What causes this? Is there something that can be done to prolong the life?
    Am I to understand that once this happens, the damage is done and you need to replace the chuck?
    Does Carvewright even sell the QC anymore?
    Kind of stinks as I have an entire set of bits with the QC holders.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast