Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old QC chuck stuck

1. Default

When the bb marks happen you have to replace the holder and the chuck. You can still buy just the head of the chuck on ebay link below.

Much cheaper than replacing with the carvetight but when you can afford it I would change to carvetight. All your bits with QC holders can be moved over. The decorator bits that are half inch shank just need to have the QC holder removed. The rest need a CT adapter which you can buy from LHR or you can go to amazon and just get a whiteside 1/2 to 1/4 split adapter. That is what I use.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRAFTSMAN-CO...owCZuswVk_PCeA

I remember the BB marks indicating that the adapter was ruined but not necessarily the chuck.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I remember the BB marks indicating that the adapter was ruined but not necessarily the chuck.
    I thought someone on here "AL" ? told me to replace the chuck. I have since changed to carvetite so I am not sure.

I guess it depends on how severe the malfunction was. I had cases where there were BB marks in the adapter but the taper in the chuck was not damaged and it was still fine. On the other hand, we have seen cases where the adapter becoming loose has destroyed the taper in the chuck.

One just has to test how well a good adapter fits in the chuck. I always pulled the chuck down to make sure the adapter was held tight.

(My problems with the QC were mostly about balance and vibration.)

The first poster has not returned in 3 weeks and before that it was years... We may have lost one here... Giving up on the machine....

Like I posted above, the most economical fix is going to a CarveTite. Mostly because it ends the vibration problem and ends bit holder failures. Plus getting a new QC on eBay is cheap but getting the OLD QC off the machine.... That is the hard part.. with the Forever Red Loctite... A Soldering Iron for heat is the best option but even at that I have had Snapped square drive bits and made the Z Truck Trash...
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    The first poster has not returned in 3 weeks and before that it was years...
    Good point. I guess we are just talking to ourselves!!

7. Default

I was responding to kzushma who just posted a day ago.

I'm still here...just haven't been able to follow up. I do appreciate the info.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12