Thread: Bits

Default Bits

I broke a bit. I have the older style holder. The store no monger sells the old style bits? Is there a 3rd party comparable/comparable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Default

On ebay you can buy just the bits then you remove the broken bit from the holder and place the new one in. Heat the screws on the holder before you try to remove them as they have locktite on them. Heating them releases the locktite. You should use locktite again when you reinstall.

Link to ebay seller with great prices. He has carving and cutting bits.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-8-CUTTING-...srRAiAXvPAYglQ

Good thought! When you say "heat up" you mean like a hair dryer or a torch?
    I wonder if a shorter bit would work as long as cut depth isn't too deep?
    Also, I'm guessing carbide over steel...

Joe, let me educate you a little bit...lol, the carvewright uses mostly 2 tools, the carving tool and the 1/8" tool. These are carbide end mills, in the machine shop industry we don't say bit because a bit is usually a drill (bit). The carving tool has (if I remember correctly) has a 7 degree angle with a 1/16" nose radius. I have 2 styles that I use, 3 flute and 4 flute. Both these tools have a 1/4" shank (the end that goes in the tool holder) The 1/8" tool also has a 1/4" shank. I mostly use 4 flute with this one (1/8").
    Most of my work is 3/4" thick so with my 2 tools I use a tool that has about 1" of cutting length. As far as the 7 degree angle tool goes it really isn't that important that it is exactly 7 degrees, but the nose radius has to be there, that is what does the profile path.
    I find most places charge a lot for these tools, I got lucky and I made a lithopane for the boss who orders tools at a shop where I use to work free of charge, in return he got me a 12 pack of carving end mills that had a different angle, so I showed him my original tool and he order another 12 pack with the 7 degree angle, both work just fine and I ended up with 24 new tools. Sweet.... I've got an order in for some 4 flute 1/8" end mills 1" long, we're going to lunch this week.. Hope this helps you understand our tools, oh and one more thing, heating up the screw on your older style holder, I would use a torch not a hair dryer.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

Excellent information, thank you!