Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about a Project

Default Question about a Project

Hello, I am new to CarverWright CNC and have a question. I have a project 12 Width x 18 Length and do I have to use a Jig?

Thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by dmcnew View Post
    Hello, I am new to CarverWright CNC and have a question. I have a project 12 Width x 18 Length and do I have to use a Jig?

Thanks...
    No you don't the machine can go 14 wide the length don't matter
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

To carve a project where the design is 12" wide by 18" in length, you don't need to use a jig, but you do need have the board the project will be carved out to be at least 25" in length. You need to add at least 7" in length if you don't use a jig...
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Good Morning, First of all Thanks You. So I need 3.5 on each side (18 L) ?

What about the (12 W) ?

Thanks...

the width is fine as designed. Only the design length has to be added to by at least 7" if a sled isn't used and you select "Stay under the rollers" (which is recommended)....
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Quote Originally Posted by dmcnew View Post

Thanks...

There are many variations but this method will be good for most projects. Especially when first starting out. Personally, I like to set up the project as I need it. I don't like things automatically add in. It causes too many unexpected errors. Here is the way I usually construct my projects:

Virtual board size is the board size in the Designer
    Actual board size is the size of the actual board.

Make the virtual board size about an inch longer and an inch wider than the largest part of the carving or cutout
    Make the actual board size 7 inches longer than the carvings or cutout and just slightly wider than the virtual board.
    Stay under rollers = NO
    Center Project on Board
    Do not cut board to size

Here is the explanation:
    When carving, the board needs to stay under both rollers to avoid a "pop-up" on one end and cause a line in the carving. If you make the actual board 7" longer than the carving it will always stay under the rollers during the carve so answering NO to the "Stay Under Rollers" prompt avoids the calculations and confusion. If you answer YES, the machine will expect a board 7" longer than the virtual board you specified in the Designer when you set up the project.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 03-28-2017 at 09:48 AM.
    Steve

Thank you Steve - well explained.

Thanks for the support...

1. Ok, I just have one more question. On the 12 width x 18 length I need to put 7 in extra to get 25 in length to 25 length x 12 width ?

2. Question, How does the CNC know that workable blank (18 l x 12 w) and the filler wood? (7 in or 3.5 each side)?

Thanks...

1. Ok, I just have one more question. On the 12 width x 18 length I need to put 7 in extra to get 25 in length to 25 length x 12 width ?

2. Question, How does the CNC know that workable blank (18 l x 12 w) and the filler wood? (7 in or 3.5 each side)?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast