Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Errors, Errors, oh my!

Some people glue a dime over the hole, I used a small piece of an old credit card.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Some people glue a dime over the hole, I used a small piece of an old credit card.
    Attached is a photo of the hole. It is in the plastic piece under the metal guide. If you look at it, it looks like I had glued something there previously. I have some brass shim stock of varying thicknesses. Could I glue that over the hole, or would something more substantial be better. I assume the thickness of the item doesn't matter, is that correct?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4159.jpg  

Using a 1/2 inch thick board raised alarm with me... i remember having problems with boards thinner than 3/4 inch.....

And the error code... Like others said... Look for a hole drilled in the brass roller holder. So if you get the fault as the head goes down on the keyboard side then you have a hole... Telling us when you get the error helps us understand what has happened.

My 2007 and 2008 machines when you do a bit check where the cut motor spins up then goes over to the LEFT or keyboard side and dips down. IF the cut motor is STILL coasting to a STOP then when it goes down it drills a hole in the plastic. I MUST Open my clear cover just after the cut motor shuts off and the heads is going left while the cut motor is still coasting to a stop. Then when it stops spinning press enter to let it continue after a open cover. AS your cut motor gets OLDER it takes longer to STOP SPINNING after a bit check so I MUST do this or drill a hole. You can press STOP once too rather than open the cover. New Motors are tighter and slow down sooner.

I would glue a piece of credit card on the hole. I don't use metal as if you miss opening the cover the bit drills into the metal.... Not good for the bit tip...

Your Board Sensor numbers look GOOD... The Standard is to use a piece of white copy paper on a board. You should get a 156 max with white paper. As you pointed out... every board is different as the sensor has 2 LED's and the sensor looks at the REFLECTED Light from the board.

I had a CRAZY Board Sensor Problem.... A Blind Sensor not finding the board edge but white paper was 156... Turned out to be my RF Video Camera with it's 6 LED's Flooding the machine with LIGHT... turn off the camera for board checks.. PERFECT.... I use a wireless Video and Wireless Intercom to watch my Machine from the Laser Shop next door.... quieter....

AL
    Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 03-22-2017 at 03:08 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Using a 1/2 inch thick board raised alarm with me... i remember having problems with boards thinner than 3/4 inch.....

And the error code... Like others said... Look for a hole drilled in the brass roller holder. So if you get the fault as the head goes down on the keyboard side then you have a hole... Telling us when you get the error helps us understand what has happened.

My 2007 and 2008 machines when you do a bit check where the cut motor spins up then goes over to the LEFT or keyboard side and dips down. IF the cut motor is STILL coasting to a STOP then when it goes down it drills a hole in the plastic. I MUST Open my clear cover just after the cut motor shuts off and the heads is going left while the cut motor is still coasting to a stop. Then when it stops spinning press enter to let it continue after a open cover. AS your cut motor gets OLDER it takes longer to STOP SPINNING after a bit check so I MUST do this or drill a hole. You can press STOP once too rather than open the cover. New Motors are tighter and slow down sooner.

I would glue a piece of credit card on the hole. I don't use metal as if you miss opening the cover the bit drills into the metal.... Not good for the bit tip...

Your Board Sensor numbers look GOOD... The Standard is to use a piece of white copy paper on a board. You should get a 156 max with white paper. As you pointed out... every board is different as the sensor has 2 LED's and the sensor looks at the REFLECTED Light from the board.

I had a CRAZY Board Sensor Problem.... A Blind Sensor not finding the board edge but white paper was 156... Turned out to be my RF Video Camera with it's 6 LED's Flooding the machine with LIGHT... turn off the camera for board checks.. PERFECT.... I use a wireless Video and Wireless Intercom to watch my Machine from the Laser Shop next door.... quieter....

AL
    Thanks for the info. I will try to find an unused credit card and glue it to the piece. Could hot melt glue work? I don't want to epoxy it, since it would be much harder to remove should I have to replace the piece later.

I realize a 1/2" is the limit, but thought I would give it a try. I've routinely used 5/8" material with no problem.

AL
    Well, the problems continue. I put a piece of credit card over the hole. It measured everything just fine. I'm using rails, so I told it not to keep the piece under the rollers, and then told it to center the carving on the board. When it went over to touch the bit on the credit card, it touched it twice, and then stopped with a Z axis stall error E06-0313. So, it never got to the point of measuring the thickness. (In the past, I was getting this error when the bit went down in the hole that is now covered, and tried to measure the thickness, and touched the sliding rail.) What do I try now? I noticed when it was touching the piece of credit card the bit was not spinning after the motor test, but the card did flex a little bit... not much, just a little. Need help here.

Try a thicker board just to half step the troubleshooting. You don't need to cut it just see is the 1/2 inch board is the problem.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Try a thicker board just to half step the troubleshooting. You don't need to cut it just see is the 1/2 inch board is the problem.
    I found the problem. I use the Rock Chuck and stop collars on the bits. I had the bits sticking out too far in the stop collars. I shortened them up, and am well into the carving now. Still using the 1/2" board, and no problems.

May sound crazy but check the compression rollers, It fixed mine a few times.
    Best of luck
    Lee
    Pop's Fix It Shop, We won't make it any worse.. Using "A" machines 1.187 1.188 ,2.007, 3.103
    2 Machines no waiting.

Good to see you got it going!
    Pop's Fix It Shop, We won't make it any worse.. Using "A" machines 1.187 1.188 ,2.007, 3.103
    2 Machines no waiting.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12