Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rising of the Flag on Iwo Jima, Marine Corps Seal, Death Star, Star Destroyer?

Alan, I only have the stl importer add on. Sculptor and stl import are different. Sculptor is a very simple 3d object editor while the stl importer is just that, an stl format importer. It can import whole 3d objects or create slices of the object to build up a layered 3d carving if you want.

3d object manipulation can get very complex and the simplicity of sculptor allows new users to start playing in 3d almost instantly but there are other options for 3d object manipulation. Unfortunately the learning curve on them is usually very high unless you already have a 3d background. I use blender 3d which is free. Given a choice of only one or the other, now that I am a little smarter on the software, I would choose stl importer. I feel like I have a lot more options now that I have learned how to do 3d models and having the ability to slice patterns to build even bigger carves if needed.

Regardless of which one you have you will have tons of fun with it. My laser is in the corner gathering dust while my little CW is making sawdust most weekends (only a hobby for me as well). Enjoy your vacation.

- Oscar

Oscar,
    I have been following your posts and just want to say thank you. Some real good information. We just started with blender and have the STL importer, we are now trying to learn how to use inkscape and blender to create stl s to import but we're not quite there yet.

You are very welcome. Stick with it. It is very frustrating in the beginning because it is foreign concept drawing in 3d space but once you get over that initial 50 ft wall it gets easier. There are only 25 ft walls.

I am enjoying the 3d graphics side just as much as woodworking and that is saying a lot. I love woodworking.

Oscar, I am excited to say that my first stl slice went well. It took a lot of practice, but I would say that for the first one I am super happy. I hope the guy getting it is happy about it. I also sliced the Death Star to creat the base for it. I will update with new pictures
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170326_141110.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	83719
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20170326_141110.jpg  
    Last edited by alan19512; 03-26-2017 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Images are posting upside down

They both look great. Nice job on the project. I hope he does like it. He may get some ribbing for being a nerd. lol. Though can't say much since I am the biggest nerd at work. (Air Force)

Now to build a walnut base to mount it to.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170326_203600-1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	884.7 KB 
ID:	83723Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170326_203658-1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	705.7 KB 
ID:	83724

7. Default

That came out really cool, Congratulations.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12