Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rising of the Flag on Iwo Jima, Marine Corps Seal, Death Star, Star Destroyer?

Default Rising of the Flag on Iwo Jima, Marine Corps Seal, Death Star, Star Destroyer?

Can anyone help me find these or point me to where I can get them? I just got my Carvewright and I have an officer retiring soon that is a huge star wars fan. I want to do a personal gift and a professional gift for them. I have been messing with GIMP 2.0 to do z depth, but I'm running out of time.

2. Default

Here is a thread with the marine corps seal.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...ht=marine+seal

3. Default

Here is a thread with Iwo Jima monument.

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...highlight=jima

Thank you Norm. I can't wait to see what this machine can do.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by alan19512 View Post
    Thank you Norm. I can't wait to see what this machine can do.
    Your welcome, Have fun with it, I always do!

Here's a Millennium Falcon project from which you can extract the pattern: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...m-Falcon-clock. Set Bit Optimization to Best and add a Small amount of Draft to the pattern. Adjust Depth and Height as needed.

I made this pattern from a free 3D model of the Falcon (an .stl file), imported using Pattern Sculptor. Pattern Sculptor is a Designer add-on module that can also be run stand alone.

I think the ability of Sculptor to convert 3D models into patterns is not widely known or used. There are 3D models of the Death Star and Star Destroyers as well, along with thousands of other objects. I usually start with a search like "Death Star 3D model" or "Death Start stl". If you're new to Carvewright, there will be a bit of a learning curve to become proficient with Sculptor pattern making from .stl files, but in my opinion the Sculptor add-on is well worth the cost.

As an example, here's a Star Destroyer that I just did from a 3D model. It took me 12 minutes to find, download, and import the model to Sculptor, adjust, export the pattern to Designer, place in a new Designer project, adjust Bit Optimization, feathering, etc., save the .mpc, and snap screen shots of the project.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	star destroyer.PNG 
Views:	32 
Size:	804.0 KB 
ID:	83575 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	star destroyer 2.PNG 
Views:	27 
Size:	905.3 KB 
ID:	83576

If I were using this myself I would probably edit the bridge making it a little lower to bring out the rest of the ship's detail, but this one is usable as is.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Dick, That is amazing. I picked up the pattern editor software and the scan probe as well. After talking with LHR, I decided not to get sculptor and go with STL importer because he said Sculptor and Pattern Editor were the same. I haven't had a chance to mess with the pattern editor. Do you suggest I pick up Sculptor as well?

After talking with LHR, I decided not to get sculptor and go with STL importer because he said Sculptor and Pattern Editor were the same.
    That's a shame, because they are definitely not the same. Connie, are you listening?

I haven't had a chance to mess with the pattern editor.
    Definitely get some seat time with Pattern Editor - it can be very useful. I actually did a couple of minor edits on the Star Destroyer in Pattern Editor after Sculptor using tools not in Sculptor.

Do you suggest I pick up Sculptor as well?
    I would wait.

I must preface by saying I do not have STL Importer, but have watched the tutorials and learned about it at a Carvewright Conference. Here's what I think I know.

Both the Importer and Sculptor can import .stl files, but for different purposes.

Importer is designed to make "slices" of a 3D model, cutting the 3d model into sections that can be individually carved, then assembled into a 3d piece. You can take slices all around a model to capture most if not all of the detail of all surfaces - top, bottom, sides, front, back.

Sculptor is designed to in essence make a single slice of a 3d model, using what I would call a projection of a single view of the 3D object, for use as a pattern. Imagine viewing a 3D model of the Star Destroyer from above. You would not be able to see any of the features of the bottom of the ship, and only a limited view of the sides. If an object on the side projected outward from the model, say a large cannon, it might cover your view of a hatch below it, so you would not see that hatch. So this "view" is what you get as a pattern using a top view via Sculptor.

Now, with STL Importer I believe that you could also take a similar slice of the model from the top and get the same thing as Sculptor would deliver. (Maybe someone with STL Importer will play with the same 3D model that I used to try making a pattern, not a full 3D model, with a single slice: http://www.123dapp.com/123D_Design/s...troyer/5307079.) But Sculptor also has many other editing features that you may want to use to modify the pattern to make it more usable as a pattern and not a 3D model.

Sculptor does let you choose which projection or view - top, bottom, left, right, front, or back - from which to make the pattern. But you are limited to 90-degree orientations only, whereas STL Importer can orient slices any which way. (I wonder if there is a third party tool to change rotation of an .stl file.) That said, it is possible to use Sculptor to make a 3D model by capturing and editing other orientations. I have started doing this to make a 3D project of the Falcon, but other priorities have taken over.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mf assembly.png 
Views:	28 
Size:	373.7 KB 
ID:	83580

Again, Sculptor has many editing features having nothing to do with importing .stl files. I suspect many are using Sculptor without ever importing .stl. So you may find you want it for reasons other than importing stl.

So again unless you have lots of $$ I would get familiar with STL Importer and Pattern Editor before reaching out for Sculptor.

Thank you so much for the help. I don't have a ton of $$, and do this as a hobby to ensure my junior Marines get something for their service as they move forward. You can look up my page on Facebook by searching for Hardy's Custom Creations. I was doing everything by hand until another Marine bought an Axiom 8 and a laser. I have been playing with pattern editor since I last posted. I just downloaded the star destroyer as well to play with STL importer. If I get it set up right, I will post the file I create using it. Tomorrow I am heading to the Smoky Mountains for the rest of the week. It is a well needed vacation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast