Thread: Need to raise the tool

Default Need to raise the tool

I am trying to keep the tool from skimming the surface of my project. It is a stained surface but when I use a trial piece it skims the surface. the board is 3/4 thick and the stars would be .250 deep. it is a union on a flag. the background is already blue and I just want to carve the stars. Thanks for your help.

You can trick the machine when it is doing the "finding surface" set during the start up by placing a shim piece on the board. When it starts the finding surface step press the stop button once, select #3 jog, raise the clear cover, place the shim on the board surface, close the cover and then using the arrow keys move the bit over the shim and press enter. After it touches off on the shim and before it starts to carve, press the stop button once and remove the shim. Press the enter button to continue the carve.

You might need to adjust the carving depth to compensate for the surface change. Do a test carve to verify.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by kwbcpastor View Post
    I am trying to keep the tool from skimming the surface of my project. It is a stained surface but when I use a trial piece it skims the surface. the board is 3/4 thick and the stars would be .250 deep. it is a union on a flag. the background is already blue and I just want to carve the stars. Thanks for your help.

possibly you are using a soft wood and when it finds the wood surface it is poking in slightly. Try putting a piece of tape where it is finding the surface.

These were quick and great answers. I love the forum!

Thanks for this. This is just what I needed to make a beautiful pre-stained union.!!!

In many cases, you can cover the area not to be carved with a 0.001 depth carve region. The bit will "jump" over it. The carve will also be faster.

Thanks! I will try this as well.