Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seeking advice on cleaning a scanned object

Quote Originally Posted by msberg View Post
    For some strange reason, I'm unable to upload the MPW file. I can see it on my computer, open it, edit it...but when it comes to uploading it here I get this message:

The following errors occurred:
    Conquistador.mpw: Invalid File

I'm using a MacBook Air...I'm I just doing something wrong?

Mike
    Hi You can post the MPW file, But you need to Zip the file, It is a unpredicted file. Any one can modify the file and call it there own. Your file is set too deep (1.4 inches) When you use the CW scanner the file is made with 32 Dots per inch a raster image. I like to make my raster patterns at least 300 dots per inch. I think your scanned image looks great.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.

Too bad on the flex.

Here is the scan smoothed in Sculptor. I did not want to smooth to much. See what you think.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Conquistador S.png   Conquistador Comp .png  

Thank you so much for the quick response. I'll zip the file and upload it. I'll look into the CW scanning of 32 DPI vs. the 300 ...I'm guessing the CW scanner only accommodate 32 DPI(?).

Mike

Wow...so much nicer...makes me want to buy Sculptor! Yeah, I think the flex must have been my issues...the last thing I had done was scanned int he image. Maybe I didn't put the flex back in all the way...who knows...I'm sure it will be an expensive lesson I'm about to learn

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    The .mpw is not an allowed file type to upload to the forum. I do not know why that is. You can, if you change the file extension to an allowed type, upload it. Then, however, the down-loader has to restore the extension. The .png is good, even more programs can use it.
    One drawback of the .png format is that patterns are exported at 8 bits. I made this Millennium Falcon pattern from an .stl file imported into Sculptor. I loaded the pattern into Pattern Editor, exported it as a .png, then imported that to make a new pattern. When you zoom in on the two, you can see the stair-stepping that was introduced by the lesser resolution. It may not matter for many patterns, especially if the pattern height is small. This pattern is a full .75" deep, and the stair stepping will be reflected in the actual carve.

Full pattern-> Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MF full pattern.PNG 
Views:	22 
Size:	137.4 KB 
ID:	83484 Zoom in-> Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MF pattern.PNG 
Views:	21 
Size:	590.3 KB 
ID:	83485 .png pattern-> Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MF pattern png.PNG 
Views:	20 
Size:	671.7 KB 
ID:	83486

(The ability to import .stl files, thousand of which are available free, into Sculptor to make patterns is one of the best features of Sculptor in my opinion.)

I never noticed that, but I see you are right. The Sculptor created pattern is smoother than the .png created from it. Here is the smoother pattern. In the zip file is the .mpw which can be opened in the Pattern Editor.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12