Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Flex Shaft

1. Default New Flex Shaft

I purchased a flex shaft the other day. It was delivered about 6pm last night (Friday). I started to install it today, Saturday 2/25. It did not have the spring in it. Just the flex and the housing. Is this a new thing or was it accidentally left out on my order? Since this is Saturday I can't get ahold of LHR to see if it is safe to use this way, I'm guessing it isn't. It has been about 10 years since I had to replace one.

Thanks for any advise.

Terry

I believe it is supposed to have the silencing spring as part of the assembly (it still says so in the website description). I have heard of people running without it but I am not sure it would be a good idea.

They no longer use the spring in the flex core. I found this out back before Christmas when I sold a new machine. The guy had bought his second machine so when he found that there was not a spring he contacted me and CarveWright. The feedback we got was they decided it was no longer needed.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    They no longer use the spring in the flex core. I found this out back before Christmas when I sold a new machine. The guy had bought his second machine so when he found that there was not a spring he contacted me and CarveWright. The feedback we got was they decided it was no longer needed.
    I find that disturbing on a few levels. The web description should at least be changed so others do not think parts are missing.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I find that disturbing on a few levels. The web description should at least be changed so others do not think parts are missing.
    Yes and also maybe a FYI announcement to all.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

6. Default

Hopefully someone from LHR can get on and tell us more about the differences between the old and new flex shafts and whether this will have any effect on noise and more importantly on flex shafts burning up.

7. Default

Is Any gain over self destructive vibration made by the CT Chuck going to be lost as well?

That brings up a possibal good timely notice on major upgrades to the machines, I had to question why the idoler pully on the "y" attachment had no teeth, I do understand the reason for the change and it does seem to be working fine.
    This would keep everyone informed
    My Shop 1044

CarveWright START U Team Member

V - 1.187 and 3.0 too
    With the DC Insert," dust all gone"
    CarveWright Customer Documentation http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/maintenance.htm
    CarveWright Tips and Tricks http://www.carvewright.com/2010CWweb/tips.htm
    www.customcarvingsbyperry.com
    I have often wondered why it is that
    Conservatives are called the "right" and Liberals are called the "left".
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of
    the fool to the left."

So, do we need to pull out the spring and throw it away? Is the new flex shaft a different size diameter than the old?

Quote Originally Posted by Smoken D View Post
    Is the new flex shaft a different size diameter than the old?
    That was going to be one of my questions. I bet not. I always thought that heat transfer to the sheath would have been better without the spring. This, however, may not be a benefit if the core has rooom in the sheath to twist and distort.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast