Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big problem here

Default Big problem here

I only have time to carve in the winter months and am getting a late start. I sent in my machine last summer for LHR to do a major service. Repair and replace anything they see that seems like a good idea as well as all available upgrades.

When I got it back, I did one small project as a test and everything seemed fine. Now, I am ready to make some signs and have a big problem.

Everything starts up OK and it starts carving the sign and then I can hear it start to struggle to spin and then it slows down and stops spinning. This happens after a couple minutes. The machine continues to go back and forth as if it is carving, but whatever bit is in is stationary. When I open the lid, I try to spin it by hand to see if anything is catching or binding and it seems to spin freely.

Any tips on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

First thing I would check would be the motor brushes.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Surely the motor brushes cannot be worn out if LHR just checked out the machine. A brush could, I suppose, be stuck. My bet would be a poor connector. Have you run the cut motor test?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0455.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	83336 Would that have been these brushes or are these for the xyz motor? (I got all this done, plus the upgrade package.)

Doesn't the Cut Motor Test, just switch the motor on? It works during board setup and it works at the very beginning of the project. Then it just bogs down and quits.

It does show they installed new brushes. Yes the cut motor test just turns on the motor. Worth doing to see if it bogs down with out and load (no cutting) on it.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Shacky View Post
    Doesn't the Cut Motor Test, just switch the motor on? ... Then it just bogs down and quits.
    Yes. Run it and see if it bogs down and quits. It is an easier and safer way to trouble shoot than running a project. Maybe you can hit it and it will start running again!

OK, I'll try it and report back.

I ran the cut motor test twice, letting it run for several minutes. The motor runs fine and never bogs down. But, I do hear a bit of a cycle of it running faster and slower. It's still running high speed the whole time, but it's not completely steady, kind of like the sound when someone is using a carpet vacuum cleaner.

Sounds like a problem with the X Termination board... Broken C1 Capacitor.

OR a brush seating problem.... Brush sticking in the holder.

The C1 may be glued NOW but since it is a older machine the damage may have been done before the Service glue job...

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC08069_WEB.jpg   DSC07811_WEB.jpg   DSC07813_WEB.jpg  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast