Thread: Z axis Stall

Default Z axis Stall

When I go to start a new job and walk through the setup menu on the machine it asks what bit I want to use for vectoring(I believe that's the question). When I select the 1/16 carving bit and go through the steps to insert it, the machine stops and gives a Z Axis Stall Error E06-0324. The funny part is if I do the same thing and tell it I am using a 1/8" Cutting bit and load it, the machine checks the bit and tell me after checking it, "You should use a 1/16 carving bit instead" so I load it and sure enough it actually starts the project and starts cutting.

SO if I select the 1/16" carving bit at first the project errors out and doesn't work, but if I start with another bit, it will tell me I should use the 1/16" bit, and once I load it, it works.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks

S

Just exactly when do you get the stall? My first guess would be you have a problem with the z encoder disk at the rear of the z motor. The disk may be dirty or loose.

I would get it as soon it finishes verifying the bit and as soon as it touched the board. I have tried a very simple project and reloaded the Bit. It didn't have a problem with that one, No errors at all. I will retry the project I had a problem with Tonight and let you know.

Now I can't get anything to start when th 1/16 carving bit is needed. I get the same z-axis error. But if only a 1/8" cutting bit is needed, everything works fine.

Check the spot by the brass roller where the bit touches. If the 1/16" carving bit has drilled a hole there, it would pass through whereas the 1/8" cutting bit would not. (This is the only difference I can think of between the behavior of the two bits.)

If this was the case, the stall would happen with only the 1/16" carving bit when the bit touches the sliding plate.

Look for the drilled hole.

See: https://forum.carvewright.com/showth...940#post252940
    Last edited by bergerud; 11-24-2017 at 10:50 PM.

I've checked no I do not see a hole there.

i think my problem is bigger than that now. Any time I run a pattern it starts at the proper depth and then lifts up off of the board, doesn't matter the pattern, I.e. Simple circle, text etc. Do you think it is still the z motor disk? It doesn't seem loose or dirty.

If the z encoder disk is not loose or dirty, the next thing to check is the FFC ribbon which connects the truck to the machine. Look for broken wires or a poor end connection.

It could even be the Z motor.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

You can open the back of the z motor to expose the encoder disc. Clean all dust out of this area. The disc you see should be tight and not allowed to spin at all. A drop of super glue can secure the disc to the shaft again.