Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two-sided on the UCB

I think your problems have more to do with getting the UCB working right than to do with two sided carving. For example, having the carrier roll out of the machine is because the roller did not click when it rolled off the end of the board onto the carrier. The board has to be initially under both rollers when you slowly lower the head until both rollers just barely click. (This is so they unclick at each board edge when they drop the 1/8".) After the board is measured, the head is clamped down the rest of the way as normal.

There may be some confusion about jogging. There are two types of jog. One can jog to determine where the carving will place on the board and/or one can jog to choose where the bit will touch. The operation of the UCB requires that you jog to touch so that the bit can be lined up in the x direction with the touch hole in the carrier side. (normrichards was talking about jogging to place. You should, for now, just use center on board instead.)

I will go and carve a simple double sided carve on the UCB just to see if I have missed anything.

I just went through doing a two sided carve with a two sided mpc on the UCB and it went fine. I put the board around the middle of the carrier. When I flipped it, I put it in a slightly different place (just to test). That did not matter to the carving but it meant that I had to re-jog to touch as it remembered the old jog position. It would have been be more convenient if I had positioned the board in the same place.

Initial placement of the board is important. The carrier needs to be lined up so a pair black areas on the carrier sides lines up with the board sensor under the y truck and at the same time, the board has to be under both rollers.

Okay, I see. I was confusing jog to position and the bit touch in your instructions. I think that's uunderstandable given that after LOAD BIT, I hit STOP, and am given three options including 3) JOG. Doesn't say BIT TOUCH or anything.

Regardless, I got the front of the double-sided carve done by creating an MPN with just that part of the pattern on it and following the UCB instructions.

I think the stock 1/16th bit is already dull, so I need to do some shopping. Sorry to change the subject, but I got the ER11 from your Chinese supplier on eBay. The parts are sitting on the bench looking at me sadly because I haven't gotten any bits for them yet. (Please don't say that there's no way the bit could be dull yet because I've already convinced myself it is vital to the operation that I go tool shopping. Vital. Better go dig some change out of the sofa cushions.)

Thanks again for the sled and your help. I'm going to try out a couple of ideas I have for stops to make the board flip a little quicker.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12