Thread: x drive problem

Default x drive problem

I am having a real problem with my CS machine and the X drive. Primarily its when using the cutting bit. Parts will be cut out of alignment, off center etc. I have not gotten any error messages and haven't noticed any problems. the board moves fine when measuring etc. I have the rubber belts and the tension seems to be set correctly. Where should I start? Tracking roller perhaps? Not sure what to do but I'm tired of ruining parts!
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

Can you show us a picture illustrating the problem?

Attaching a couple pics of the project I ran yesterday. Working on a modified version of my gumball machine. You can see the carve region in the back is not lined up like it is supposed to be. It cut out the shape ok, just not in the right place. The other shows the outside of one of the layers, how the first path is different then the other two, and it's only on this side. That is not the same layer as the misplaced back. No not using a sled for these, never use a sled for projects that have cut paths.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI3788.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	252.6 KB 
ID:	83285Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCI3789.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	245.9 KB 
ID:	83286
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Visit www.kansaswood.com

I have had issues with cutouts when not using a sled. Dan's theory is that vibration creates an unreliable brass roller reading and this leads to tracking issues. Use of Dan's universal carrier or a sled appears to dampen vibration and avoid issues. I would use a sled.

I'm not big on fancy sleds. The sled I have used for years on smaller plaques and such is just a pine 1x12 ripped square, 4 ft long with a square 3-1/2" block on one end, and another block with angled screws I use to jam the piece in. Also use some double side tape. Have used the same board for a couple years now, works great. That being said, you assessment may be accurate. Most of the time I have this trouble is cutting pine 1x material and usually the cut path gets close to the edges so it's possible the vibration is making the board move.
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Visit www.kansaswood.com

Quote Originally Posted by dehrlich View Post
    Most of the time I have this trouble is cutting pine 1x material and usually the cut path gets close to the edges so it's possible the vibration is making the board move.
    I do not think it is the board that moves but, when the cutting gets close to the brass roller, the encoder disk picks up the vibrations and the optic sensor has trouble counting the lines on the disk. This results in the controller going into a "tracking roller fail" state and relying solely on the x encoder for tracking. I have experimented with using just the x encoder during cutouts and the result is the bad tracking we experience.

I would suggest trying, one way or another, keeping cutouts as far away from the brass roller as possible.

8. Default

I always us a simple mdf sled on all projects especially cutouts. It is mdf which I know is flat and square, masking tape on the bottom and two 4 inch pieces on top and bottom of work piece. Even though I do a lot of cutouts and they cut into the sled just a bit, a sled will last me 6 months or more. I stopped having issues and broken bits after I started using the sleds. I do a lot of 2 sided projects with cutouts with no issues. I want to use the universal carrier but just have not gotten around to building it.

Dull bit? Causing side pressure?
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com