Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning up machined sides

Default Cleaning up machined sides

Okay, well, I've done two carvings, one from a logo that was a single-sided and one from a spoon pattern that was a two-sided carve. It was pretty neat.

I'm still mastering the basic concepts but I did wonder if I could get some pointers regarding getting a cleaner machined edge. I mean, I am good at sanding based on many years of screwing up woodworking projects, but it isn't something I find fun. So I have a 1/16 carving bit and a 1/8 cutting bit and have used only the 1/16 carving bit on my two projects.

What are the basic steps to check to get the best finish off the machine?

Thanks, you all.

For the best carving quality it usually recommended that you set the bit optimization to best and during the upload to the card us the optimal setting. Also using harder wood types will give you better detail with out the fuzzies.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Ok, thx, I used some western red cedar for the logo one-sided carve (I figured it would chip out and it did, but still...) and I used kiln-dried cherry for my double-sided carve. I set bit optimization to Best and I thought I used Optimal at the machine, but maybe I didn't. I'll double-check next time.

Any other tips to get a better finish off the machine?

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    For the best carving quality it usually recommended that you set the bit optimization to best
    I don't agree with this. It really depends upon what you are carving. Bit optimization affects the shape in a small way of what is being carved, but not the smoothness or what I consider to be the quality. I posted on this subject here: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...177#post194177

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    I don't agree with this. It really depends upon what you are carving. Bit optimization affects the shape in a small way of what is being carved, but not the smoothness or what I consider to be the quality. I posted on this subject here: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...177#post194177
    Hence the work "usually" It is a lot dependent on the quality of the pattern for the most part. It does bring out the detail and or the defects in the pattern.

Maybe he should post a picture of his carving so we might get a better idea of what he is talking about for the edges.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Bit optimization is the procedure used by the software to compensate for the taper of the bit. The "Best" setting does not always produce the best quality. Especially with some fonts.

With raster carves the over all quality of the carving is set by adjusting the "step over" of the bit. In other words, how far does the bit overlap the previous pass. It's usually measured in percentages but with the Designer it's measured in pre-set steps of Draft, Normal, Best, and Optimal. These settings can be selected when the project is uploaded to the card.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 01-27-2017 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Bit optimization is the procedure used by the software to compensate for the taper of the bit.
    Bit optimization is not to compensated for the taper of the bit, it is to compensate for the fact that the tip of the bit is a ball and not a point. Without bit optimization, the machine carves by having the tip (point) if the bit follow the pattern. Since the ball is not a point, nearby parts of the pattern may be carved away by the sides of the ball. Bit optimization calculates how much to raise the bit as it carves so that the sides do not cut into the nearby pattern.

It is easy to think that bit optimization has to do with the taper since the rise in the bit also reduces the amount cut by the taper. But that is a side effect. (pun intended!)

There is no way to compensate for the taper of the bit. All one can do is apply small draft, so that at least, one can see what will carve.

I stand corrected.
    Steve

Thanks all.

I think I'm starting to get a grip on this. The model I used was a spoon MPC from the free patterns collection. I removed some of the design elements and made it smaller. I wanted to do 1) a double-sided carve) and 2) something simple in a wood I'm familiar with to see the result. I had a KD cherry short that I ran through the planer to get about .80 (a little thicker than the design) and plenty of extra all the way around (too much---I need to build a sled). It took about 58 minutes for both sides, the DC worked great, the carve came out nicely.

I've already sanded the spoon down and oiled it---I ran out of my usual beeswax/mineral oil food-safe finish. It's already in the kitchen and in use.

I read DickB's linked thread and will continue reading up on this. I need to get into my head that the use of "Optimize" and "Optimal" within the software and hardware, and the relationship between those two. I have some other KD hardwood that isn't as precious as the cherry and I can run the same pattern using different settings that may help me understand that part. I think the only way to really understand it is to do carve a lot, keep reading, and take copious notes.

Oh, and I'm a she. Not a he. At least, the last time I looked.

10. Default

Congrats, a two sided carve is ambitious for first couple of carves , I probably did not attempt until my 15th.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast