Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spindle Tolerance Ring

Well, the track is back on the machine at the moment. Just need to attach wires and put the cover on the machine. Will give it a try tomorrow. Guess the worse thing that can happen is the ring coming back out. I really don't see much that holds the ring from dropping out. But here is what I did today. Please comment if you see something I should have done differently. Will try to put all pictures on one reply.... it might take two.
    It does take two.... see next post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails A.jpg   B.jpg   C.jpg   D.jpg  

E.jpg  

Last set of pictures.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F.jpg   G.jpg   H.jpg   I.jpg  

Looking good. Nice job. Your pictures will surely help others to follow your example!

have to agree with Dan nice job
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

5. Default

Thank you so much for sharing your pictures and instructions for doing this. It makes a huge difference for others with the same or similar issues.

I've never done that, but have a question. Is it possible to peen the casting edge so it holds the ring in place after it is installed?
    Ken,
    V-1, 2, & 3

When the People fear their Government, there is Tyranny.
    When the Government fears the People, there is Liberty.
    - Thomas Jefferson

You must be the change you wish to see in the world.
    - Mohandas Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by DocWheeler View Post
    I've never done that, but have a question. Is it possible to peen the casting edge so it holds the ring in place after it is installed?

I think that would work just fine.

Awesome job with the photos. Does LHR offer these as a replacement part? If not maybe they should. I was not sure what SharonB had here, but the pictures told the story. I can see that ring taking a lot of abuse. I like the idea, saves the housing from abuse from all the vibration. That being said the ring itself will deform over time form said abuse from vibration and drop out because of a lack of tension. This should have been a very tight tolerance press fit.As the chuck does it's thing, the ring is taking pressures and heating up slightly , as we all do under pressure.

Sharon,
    Thank you very much for the pictures. They explain just how easy it is to disassemble the CT spindle.

Dan,

I think you have posted this before but what size bearings did you use to replace the spindle bearings and where do you recommend buying them.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Sharon,
    Thank you very much for the pictures. They explain just how easy it is to disassemble the CT spindle.

Dan,

I think you have posted this before but what size bearings did you use to replace the spindle bearings and where do you recommend buying them.
    The bearings are the same for QC and CT. NSK 6002VV for the bottom and NSK 6000DDU for the top. The top bearing is standard and easy to find. The bottom is a little harder to find. The V stands for non contact seals. It is a high rpm bearing.

(One should note that it may not be so easy to get the spindle out. Some, I think, are tighter than others. It is possible to damage the top bearing pressing the spindle out.)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast