Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spindle Tolerance Ring

Default Spindle Tolerance Ring

On a CarveWright 'B' machine, that I acquired last year, I found a spindle tolerance ring wrapped around a front post. The machine does have a CarveTight spindle. Is this something I can fix myself or does the spindle have to be removed and sent back to LHR? If I can re-insert the ring is there any schematics showing how the ring is to be installed?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ring.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	180.3 KB 
ID:	83062

The tolerance ring cannot really be replaced without removing the spindle. I have taken spindles in and out many times. If it was my machine I would whip out the spindle and replace the ring. If you want to do that I can advise you. Otherwise I think you will have to send your truck to LHR.

Dan... I think I'd like to give it a try to replace it myself. Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. If, after your suggestions, I feel it is beyond my ability I will certainly send it to LHR. I gather I would have to take the track off either way.

You do not have to take the truck off but it would sure make it easier. With it off, you can use a vise to press out the spindle. Come back when the truck is off.

Thanks Dan, I'll try and attack that job tomorrow. Don't suppose there is any information out there on taking the track off. But I'll go check right now.

Ok, I found the information on removing the Y-track. Right now I know I'm going to hate this job....mainly when it comes to putting the Y-track back on and adjusting the roller bearings.
    Last edited by SharonB; 01-20-2017 at 05:19 PM.

Sharon,

Dan is talking about the Y-Z TRUCK. Not the track rails. Use wrenches to loosen the eccentric bearings that are on one side of the truck. It sounds easy but the nuts/screws are very difficult to loosen. Doing this from memory as I haven't taken the truck off in awhile but I think there is a special flat wrench that will fit between the truck and the bearing or you can just grind down one yourself.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 01-21-2017 at 11:50 AM.
    Steve

Steve... I have a several of the original wrenches. Hopefully one of these will work.
    Is there any literature on removing this track. All I have is removing the Y-track.

There is a pdf and a video which might be useful. You only have to take off the z truck.

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/se...ce_z-truck.pdf

http://support.carvewright.com/carve...ation-and-use/

Thanks Dan for the links. I thought I had all the Repair Manuals downloaded but did not have the "Replacing the Z-truck." I remember taking the Z-truck off years ago on my A machine. So, using the video as a reminder I'll try removing the Z-truck tomorrow.

You should first make sure you can release the z truck rollers. You should be able to do this without having to loosen the screws. The screws and the eccentrics should rotate without the screws coming loose.

If releasing the rollers turns out to be a problem (do not even think about drilling out the screws), you may want to rethink removing the truck and instead think about making a spindle puller.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast