Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Trying to use conforming vectors again

Greg,

I think your right. We did get off topic. Your original post was about conforming vectors and somehow was hijacked to centerline text. They are two separate but similar functions with different applications. Sorry about that.

In Aspire, "conforming vectors" can be accomplished by putting a check in the box for "Project toolpath onto 3D model" in the toolpath setup and the results are clearly shown in the preview. Correctly applied Conforming Vectors should be clearly shown in the Designer also. I'm not sure why the preview in the Designer isn't correct on your computer. Maybe it has something to do with the graphics card and the hardware acceleration setting on the preferences menu.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 01-21-2017 at 12:30 PM.
    Steve

I wonder if many of the problems we see are due to the font. I recall the programmers having many problems with fonts which did not somehow conform to the true type font standards. So, maybe a one step in trouble shooting conforming text problems should be to try a standard, known font.

When looking at the list of fonts, I have no idea how to tell which one is standard. How is that done?
    I have used Ariel and Ariel Narrow on the examples provided above.
    Greg Luckett
    Great Lakes Wood Arts Co.
    Saint Joseph, MI

Quote Originally Posted by luckettg View Post
    I have used Ariel and Ariel Narrow on the examples provided above.
    They are pretty standard fonts. I guess the fonts are not the problem in your case.

Quote Originally Posted by luckettg View Post
    I completely disagree with you about the fonts looking like the way they actually carve.
    If you have an example of a font that did not carve as previewed in Designer, could you post a photo of the carve and screen shot of the Designer view or the mpc? I've never had a mismatch unless the surface of my board was uneven.

I don't see how I went off topic. The mpc's in the first post use Centerline text only as the conforming vectors. Post 2 included a complaint about how the conforming text was poor. I responded to those posts.

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    I don't see how I went off topic. The mpc's in the first post use Centerline text only as the conforming vectors. Post 2 included a complaint about how the conforming text was poor. I responded to those posts.

Dick,

The post was in the Conforming Vectors section and the heading was "Trying to use Conforming Vectors Again". The topic of the text did start out as "conforming text" though. I thought it was me that went off topic.
    Steve

Have you also been having difficulty with font sizes not carving as displayed in Designer? Just curious how many are experiencing this.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    I wonder if many of the problems we see are due to the font. I recall the programmers having many problems with fonts which did not somehow conform to the true type font standards. So, maybe a one step in trouble shooting conforming text problems should be to try a standard, known font.
    Greg Luckett
    Saint Joseph, MI

This thread is digressing to mostly text issues instead of conforming vectors, but they are so interrelated that it is probably really still on topic. My original posting was about getting conforming vectors to work at all, not just text. Until yesterday, I never got conforming vectors to work enough to get to any text problems, and that jury is still out. I am running some more conforming vector test carvings to see if I can figure out why it usually does not work for me. The guy I would usually pester with these questions left us a few years ago and I just found that out today. That would be AskBud. He was a great mentor for me and I still use his teaching files (AVI or PDF).

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Dick,

The post was in the Conforming Vectors section and the heading was "Trying to use Conforming Vectors Again". The topic of the text did start out as "conforming text" though. I thought it was me that went off topic.
    Greg Luckett
    Saint Joseph, MI

No, not that I know of; I have hundreds of pictures taken over the last 10 years so something might show up. I usually only take pictures of completed projects and the failed ones head to the fireplace. Next time it happens I will try to remember to take pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    If you have an example of a font that did not carve as previewed in Designer, could you post a photo of the carve and screen shot of the Designer view or the mpc? I've never had a mismatch unless the surface of my board was uneven.
    Greg Luckett
    Saint Joseph, MI

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast