Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Trying to use conforming vectors again

Thanks Dick. This is pretty much what I had evisioned making and your details have encouraged me. I probably have everything needed to quickly make one too.

Last night I discovered the Universal Carrier Base and am considering purchasing the plans for it. Have you tried one? I am not sure exactly how it will work for me but it does look interesting. I watched some videos and scanned through the PDF about it. I would appreciate your advice. PM me if you would like to be more private about discussing things (or email me?)
    The coffee is ready here now.....it has a sirens call. Thanks again for helping me.
    Greg Luckett
    Great Lakes Wood Arts Co.
    Saint Joseph, MI

Steve,
    I discovered (rediscovered?) how to find True Type Fonts on my PC, doing a search for the *.TTF files. I am struggling with which fonts to use, especially when they are one that I have not used in the past. Your advice will be used, along with Dick's. I do appreciate it and thank you.
    Greg Luckett
    Saint Joseph, MI

Quote Originally Posted by luckettg View Post
    Last night I discovered the Universal Carrier Base and am considering purchasing the plans for it. Have you tried one?
    I haven't tried one myself. Dan developed it after I had made my own sleds, so I did not have a strong need. It is interesting and I have followed the threads on it. Others have posted about it so you can get their views. I don't recall any negative comments.

Quote Originally Posted by luckettg View Post
    I am struggling with which fonts to use, especially when they are one that I have not used in the past.
    I think the main thing to watch out for is very thin strokes. For example, look at the capital A in this font (Frederick text):
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Frederick text.PNG 
Views:	6 
Size:	160.6 KB 
ID:	83125

There are some very thin lines meaning that the bit is going to be shallow. If your board has even a slightly uneven surface, or your sled rails are slightly taller and you touch the bit to the rails, the stroke might not carve at all. The smaller the lettering, the more difficult to carve well. I like to highlight text with a darker stain or spray ink, sanding off the excess. It's easy to sand too much and destroy the lettering with a font like this. I would be very cautious about using this font.

The text would look similar to this if you use your Shark.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Boiler Technician.png  
    Steve

Greg, I know you have not asked for any input but I can not say enough good things about the universal carrier board. I built one shortly after it came out and it is all I have used since. You won't be disappointed if you build one.

Default Ucb

Bought it earler today and will build it this week....I hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale View Post
    Greg, I know you have not asked for any input but I can not say enough good things about the universal carrier board. I built one shortly after it came out and it is all I have used since. You won't be disappointed if you build one.
    Greg Luckett
    Saint Joseph, MI

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234