Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can this figure be made into a Pattern?

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Is something wrong? It is only two closed shapes to apply puff to. It shows how one can puff around holes.
    At first it appeared like you uploaded the wrong file.
    Steve

Sharon,

The hollow portions of the pattern will come through as full height. I'm not sure why the Carvewright program doesn"t do that on native patterns. You can also make the pattern a pierced project and there will be no need for cutouts.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 01-09-2017 at 07:51 PM.
    Steve

Steve, those are just what I was trying to achieve. Could you give me a brief description on how you achieved it? I have two more that I want to do with the same outer shape but with different inter-cutouts. I haven't had time to study the last two you shared but will do so this evening and see if I can figure it out. Thank you all for taking the time to solve my dilemma

If you want to create the pattern using puff in Designer, the holes require a bit of a trick. (I think Steve created his pattern in Aspire which probably does not require the trick.)

(You will have to repuff the vectors on the left of the board. I turned off the puff for file size.)

Edit: I posted this trick years ago in: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...599#post213599
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails puff with holes 2.PNG  
    Last edited by bergerud; 01-12-2017 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SharonB View Post
    Steve, those are just what I was trying to achieve. Could you give me a brief description on how you achieved it? I have two more that I want to do with the same outer shape but with different inter-cutouts. I haven't had time to study the last two you shared but will do so this evening and see if I can figure it out. Thank you all for taking the time to solve my dilemma

Sharon,

After playing around with it for awhile I think I've come up with a method that seems to work.

1. Trace the shapes using the line tools
    2. Group the traced lines
    3. Puff the outer shape to a depth equal to the thickness of the board and set it to Merge: Subtractive
    4. Make the inner shapes carve regions
    5. Make the pattern
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails For Sharon.png  
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 01-10-2017 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Wording
    Steve

Sorry to take so long to thank you, Steve and Dan. I have been helping the husband work on the tractor so we can get some of this snow out of the yard and driveway. We are getting close to 3 feet and more coming down tonight. I will be playing around with this design in the coming days and I'm sure I will be using this technique on other patterns in the future. Thanks for sharing your talents and it is good to see that it can be attached from angles.

Sharon,

Cutouts are vector cuts and not included when making a pattern in the Designer. Making the shapes a carve region instead of a vector cut includes them in the pattern. Using this method instead of a cutout should work in most cases. If you don't want the puff on the outer shape to go all the way to the bottom of the board you can make it any depth and make the carve regions on the inner shapes full depth. The key is to set the outer puffed shape to Merge: Subtractive.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 01-11-2017 at 11:19 AM.
    Steve

Steve... I've saved all this information and it will certainly help when trying the next puff/cut-out project. It is starting to warm up so maybe I can try carving one or two of the designs I've been playing around with.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12