Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of diversifying

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Thinking of diversifying

I was wondering if anyone on here was using any larger CNCs or laser engravers and could offer some advice. I have folks ask for large carvings and though I know How to do the multi board projects, it would be nice to have the ability to do it all at once. The laser has a wider range of applications but the expense is problematic. PM me if you have suggestions.
    Thanks.
    Martin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sent you a pm hope you get it.

My suggestion would be to have a clear market and business plan. Also a specific product you want to produce with your tools. My 40W engraving laser has been sitting in my shop corner and it hasn't been turned on for almost 2 years. I have plans to play with it this weekend but I don't even know if it works. The worst thing you can do to a laser tube is not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by oscarl48 View Post
    My suggestion would be to have a clear market and business plan. Also a specific product you want to produce with your tools. My 40W engraving laser has been sitting in my shop corner and it hasn't been turned on for almost 2 years. I have plans to play with it this weekend but I don't even know if it works. The worst thing you can do to a laser tube is not use it.
    +1..... I TOO have a Laser Engraver sitting in the corner that has not been turned on in over 4 years.... LOL... Just TOO many toys and TOO little time.... I have a Rotary Engraver too... That is about 5 years... It has much better resolution for fine text but only a 9 x 12 inch table. Also have a Vinyl Cutter and that is going on 2 years since I have used it. With the laser, the tube is likely about gone... True letting them sit... they leak... It's a old Epilog and a after market tube recharge ($2K) would give it another 10 years of life but it is only a 25 watt.

A family friend will likely be joining the CarveWright community soon with a CX. I look forward to seeing his creations. He first saw me at a Craft Show in 2008 with my Cute Cousin and was interested then but now has the time to play. I wish him well.

A business plan is a good thing... My plan has changed as the market changed from Craft Stuff to Fire Stuff. So be flexible.... Just don't go down the slippery road of Copyright violations... The sports stuff looks like a money maker without a license but it can lead to bad things....

Good Luck,

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC05190_WEB.jpg   DSC03969_WEB.jpg   DSC07698_WEB.jpg  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Take a look at the Shopbot products and Vectric software. Expensive but VERY reliable and the tech support for both companies is second to none.
    Steve

While far from the best solution for large sign making, handibot, looks like a serious competitor at the price point for the carvewright. While it doesn't do long pieces as well, if it doesn't have part availability problems and you can use the software for other machines and move to bigger machines if you want that is quite an advantage.

7. Default

We have a Maker Space in my town and I often use the Epilog Lasers and the 3d printers. They just got a large format CNC but I have to take an orientation class before I can use it and I have not done so yet. I really enjoy using the lasers but I could not afford to buy one. A quick check shows many Maker Spaces in Texas you might want to check for some near you. Even an hour drive would be worth it to go spend a day or so a month working with laser engravers before buying one. I often do the design and setup work at home then just reserve some time and run in and do my work and then leave within an hour or so. I sold a lot of laser engraved items at the last craft show I did.

I have not heard of them, what a great idea. I'll have to look them up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. Default

Maybe for a Job Site CNC the handibot makes sense but for an in the shop machine to me it does not. There is one at the makerspace I go to and I have seen it in action.

A friend of mine that owns a carvewright has recently purchased a Digital Wood Carver and have been very pleased with it. Look them up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast