Thread: Board Sensor Cable Replacement

Default Board Sensor Cable Replacement

Probably a duh question here but I'm going to replace the board sensor cable on one of my machines to see if that corrects an intermittent board sensor failure problem, and possibly the fcc cable as well.

Just looking at the machine, (I checked the support area on the website and didn't find anything specific) it appears that I will have to take off the Z truck to then take off the Y truck to get access to the cable.

Am I looking at this right? Or is there a simpler process, I don't want to over think it but why take apart stuff if you don't need to.

Thanks

Martin

It IS a big job.... I would order some Roller Bearings and Roller Bearing SCREWS as I snapped one of the Y Bearings when I replaced my Board Sensor Cable....

Pryor to doing that big job...

1. Try the "Butt Floss Trick" Remove the board sensor and un plug the top... TUG the cable up to dis lodge it from possibly being wedged in the side of the slot cover PINCHING sometimes causing a intermittent problem.

2. Inspect and possibly replace the board sensor... Some of the surface mount parts can be ripped from the board or made LOOSE removing the plug and installing the plug. ALL components have a silk screened BOX around the parts. A Missing part can be a problem..... PLUS the older board sensors were not glued and only held by the wires of the LED's and the LED wires would snap...

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC08506_WEB.jpg   DSC09541_WEB.jpg   DSC09540_WEB.jpg   DSC08504_WEB.jpg  

DSC08502_WEB.jpg   DSC08507_WEB.jpg   DSC08505_WEB.jpg   DSC08510_WEB.jpg  

Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Thank you Al,

I do have spare roller bearings and screws on hand already, had a similar experience in the past.

The butt Floss Trick was done before and it didn't seem to make much difference. The board sensor is new so that is what lead me to the cables.....

I appreciate all the suggestions, was sort of hoping for a magic bullet cure but it looks like I was heading down the correct path and will end up taking stuff apart.

Martin

Did you do the white paper sensor test on the board sensor? Should read around 150. If the board sensor is weak, it might explain the errors.

Yes sir I did, it read 156 most of the time, but did read low once in a while, it was a fairly new sensor - a couple of months old but I replaced it just in case and nothing changed.

If you did the floss trick and nothing changed and you installed a new sensor and 156 is your number... All is working.... So for the intermittent part.... I would do the 156 paper test again and move the FFC Cable looking for a intermittent FFC Cable. Remember it is thin FLAT copper in a plastic holder... IT could have a fracture that makes contact 99% of the time.... It's that 1% that gets you....

And blow out your Roller Switches too.... The roller switches play a big part in activating the sensor... dust builds up on the resting plate when un compressed and eventually it gets so thick it does not let the switch fall into the slot telling the machine it is released.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com