Thread: Problem cutting text into an existing pattern. Cannot find surface

Default Problem cutting text into an existing pattern. Cannot find surface

I had cut the pattern (Plaque-of pine-AB-001 see attached) and had to stop before the text was cut in the center. Came back later and composed text but when trying to cut text only the machine will NOT touch the bit to surface to when "Finding Surface". I jog to the marked center position and machine tries to find surface but always comes up 1/8" to 3/16" short and calls for bit again. Have tried both Centerline (with and without Conform) and Raster, but no difference. The pattern (Plaque-of Pine) is a very deep cut and this may have something to do with it. Tried lowering bit before finding surface but does the same thing. I am using a sled (which I most always cut from). I have attached both .MPC files and if anyone could give me any help I would be appreciated. The one "Ain't nothing going to come up" still has the text in the center but was not cut.
    Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

Are you trying to make the bit touch down in the center of the already carved plaque? If so the surface is to low for the machine, it is trying to find the top surface of the board and when going below that it thinks there is not bit in the chuck.

The only way I can think of for you to do this is to set up the design with the text on the plaque. When going through the set up have the bit touch on the top surface of your board, not in the pocket. When it starts to carve the plaque pause the machine by pressing the stop button one time ​and remove the bit to let the machine air carve the plaque pattern. Then when called for install the V bit to do the text.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Yes, I am trying to let the bit touch in the center of the carved area and I guess there lies the problem. I like your suggestion and may go that route. One other thought I had, and would like your opinion, was to put a temporary spacer in the center that would equal the original height before the pattern was carved and let the bit touch on this then remove the spacer. I guess worth a try??? Although something strange, to me, is that the machine calls for the 1/16" carving bit even though I had selected the 60deg bit for the lettering and this was a new board and not copied from the original.
    Thanks,

Since the carve region is flat, you may be able to trick the machine. If you move the bit out say, 3/8" between the touch at the bit plate and the touch on the surface, I think it will cut the text. That is: after the touch at the bit plate, press stop and extend the bit out the 3/8". Now jog to touch (press stop and the 3) Jog when it tries to touch) in the middle of the board where the text will be and it should be good to go.

Note the machine asking for the 1/16" carving bit will screw this up. Only the 60V bit should be in the project. (The machine will ask for the 1/16" carving bit if you are choosing Jog to Center as it wants to use it as a pointer. You may need to choose Center on Board.)
    Last edited by bergerud; 12-21-2016 at 06:05 PM.

Thanks, Sounds logical try out later. Now I understand why it is calling for the 1/16" bit so will go Center on Board. Tried my spacer in the center and if course it did not work.