Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Z stall and cutting depth issue

Default Z stall and cutting depth issue

I am trying to get a local guys A machine (it has been upgraded with the A907 Z pack and CarveTight chuck) that he wants to sell. It was in storage for almost 2 years. As far as I know (not assuming anything with that statement! it was working when he put it in storage.

After getting it all cleaned and lubed up and running all of the sensor and axis tests the first test carve ran without any issues. Since I have it set up in the shop of the maybe future owner I told him to go ahead and carve up some Christmas ornaments that he wanted. His next carve ran good including the cut out.

Problems for then on: A long winded one but wanted to get as much info in as possible.

Next carve ran good but when it stopped and was suppose to ask for the cutting bit it went to Z stall message instead. Modified MPC and ran the cut path with no issues.

He then ran 2 more and on these the carving depth stared changing. The depth started getting shallower as it got to the highest parts of the pattern and then leaving the top surface of the board as not carved for those areas and as the pattern goes lower back into carving the detail.

Today I went over and reset the FFC cable and double checked all of the other connections. FFC did seem a bit out at the back of the Z truck. Ran a small carve region test with a 2" x 2" region with a cut out of the center. All ran well. I then loaded up one of the prior carved pieces with the high spots and started it over. When it got to same area of the flat carve it was doing the same thing. I aborted and modified the pattern height to lower the highest spots. In designer it showed them to be 0.01 depth. I had to take the height down to 75. The re carve ran good and no Z stall when stopping for the cutting bit.

I ran the board thickness calibration and modified the rest of the MPC files to lower the height setting. All prior uploads were done as a "normal" carve quality and since he is carving these in walnut and cherry I selected optimal.

His next carve went the opposite way. As it got 1/3 of the way into the pattern it started going deeper and finally into the bottom of the jig.

Any insights for what to look at next? My thoughts would be the Z motor ( I did remove the back cover and it was clear of dust and the clear disc was in good shape) , head termination board and the z motor electronics board.

PS: It is Christmas time in Colorado Ya Know!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 15644889_10208046342301023_1899583943_n.jpg   15571015_10208046349741209_767716204_n.jpg   15320228_10208046357141394_701568463_n.jpg   15645454_10208067215902850_1339330661_n.jpg  

RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Sounds like a loose z encoder disc. Did you check that?

I did check it when I took the cover off. It seemed tight on the shaft and rotated when I move the truck up and down.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Well it sounds like the z position is slowly changing and that seems like an encoder thing. What else could it be? A broken wire connection in the FFC?

I agree 100% on the changing Z position. I will probably swap out the FFC cable as the first test. I did give it a good inspection but you never know. After that the Z electronics board.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

Move the Z up to the top pin.
    Open Z Data and it should be 0000 as it is where ever the head is when you start sensor data.
    Move the head down and up a dozen times and return to the top. It should be 0000 at the top pin if not....

Bad FFC or bad connection, loose in the plug.
    disk spinning on the shaft
    broken or missing z tooth

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    Move the Z up to the top pin.
    Open Z Data and it should be 0000 as it is where ever the head is when you start sensor data.
    Move the head down and up a dozen times and return to the top. It should be 0000 at the top pin if not....

Bad FFC or bad connection, loose in the plug.
    disk spinning on the shaft
    broken or missing z tooth

AL
    Al,

Thanks for the added tips! I will let everyone know what I find out.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

It could also be a controller. I've had similar problems and replacing the controller fixed it.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    It could also be a controller. I've had similar problems and replacing the controller fixed it.
    Well lets hope not! They guy that I am trying to sell it for might not like to hear that bad news, his selling price would have to come down. I've already had to replace the cracked cut motor case.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Buy CarveWright

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    Well lets hope not! They guy that I am trying to sell it for might not like to hear that bad news, his selling price would have to come down. I've already had to replace the cracked cut motor case.
    What caused the cut motor case to crack? Over heating, a sudden obstruction of the spinning bit, etc? All the more reason to suspect the controller. In my case, a static discharge took out the controller and it was giving me the same intermittent symptoms you are having.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 12-20-2016 at 10:28 PM.
    Steve

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast