Thread: Pierce option NOT available on boards over .75" thick?

Default Pierce option NOT available on boards over .75" thick?

Hi,

I am experimenting with the pierce option for the first time.. I wanted to run this job on a 1" thick board but the PIERCE option doesn't seem to be available after I change the board thickness from .75 to 1.00.

Is there a limitation on the thickness of the board to use the PIERCE feature? I am on 1.187 Designer BTW.
    John

Yes, the pierce option when using the standard 1/16" carving bit is limited to a depth of 0.8". You cannot pierce a 1"-thick board with that bit.

If you own (or upgrade) to Designer Pro as well as using the LONG 1/16" carving bit (which only works with Designer Pro), you WILL be able to use the pierce function on a 1"-thick board.

A possible alternative procedure would be to carve as deep as you can using the 1.187 software and the standard 1/16" carving bit, then create an outline of the part and specify a Cut Path to cut the part out with the standard 1/8" Cutting Bit. It's impossible to know the best approach without actually seeing your project MPC, though.
    Last edited by mtylerfl; 12-12-2016 at 10:01 AM.
    Michael T
    Happy Carving!

═══ Links to Patterns & Resources for CompuCarve™ & CarveWright™ ═══

Quote Originally Posted by jgowrie View Post
    Hi,

I am experimenting with the pierce option for the first time.. I wanted to run this job on a 1" thick board but the PIERCE option doesn't seem to be available after I change the board thickness from .75 to 1.00.

Is there a limitation on the thickness of the board to use the PIERCE feature? I am on 1.187 Designer BTW.
    This is a known bug and can be exploited if you set the board thickness to 1" from the beginning. Then it will allow you to carve the project. The Designer will not allow you to make the initial board thickness .75", design your project, and then attempt to change the board thickness to 1".

EDIT: You can open or design the project with a .75" thick board, open a new project that is 1" thick, and copy and paste from one to the other. Everything will be okay as long as you don't attempt to change the board settings, size, or thickness. However, it really is better to use the long carving bits. Then there are no problems.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 12-12-2016 at 11:24 AM.
    Steve