Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Thoughts - Patterns

Cool Patterns

Well, I guess that kills my thought process. I would have bet that LHR had an agreement of licensure for ptn files. Given that their software is what produces them. OH WELL, can't be right all the time!!!
    Are ya smoking canine fecal matter, AGAIN????

http://home.att.net/~inabnitt/wsb/ht...out.html-.html

I think it is a wonderful idea! More people the more designs on the internet the better and at around $10.00 dollars what's to loose!

promo:

I have a free Motorcycle on my site with projects you can download at:
    http://www.liquidguitars.com/html/carvewright.html
    Looks like somebody has already started the "competition". Ain't our Free Enterprise system great! Gotta love it. All you talented guys are appreciated - keep up the good work.
    Bill

As my Grandpa used to say "Suit yourself and let the rest be pleased!"

Hi Liquidguitars; You Got It. Excellent Work. Did You Make Them With Designer? Thanks For Sharing.

Wink

I am using a few programs some 3D but mostly Photoshop and Designer.

Lig
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 03-27-2007 at 10:56 AM.

Default Think about it

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Well, I guess that kills my thought process. I would have bet that LHR had an agreement of licensure for ptn files. Given that their software is what produces them. OH WELL, can't be right all the time!!!
    Sorry but this is one of my pet peeves, being a computer person. So I'd like to take a moment to clarify some thinking.

Does IBM own the copyright to a book just because you wrote it on a Selectric typewriter? Does Adobe own the copyright to a computer drawing just because you made it using Photoshop and saved it as a PSD file? Why would the manufacturer of a tool have any claim over the copyright of work YOU create with that tool? The creator of the software owns nothing but the copyright to the software THEY created. That means they have the right to tell you not to make copies of their software or use a copy that you haven't paid for. That's it. That's where their rights end.

Software is a tool, just like your computer is a tool and a hammer is a tool. The creators of the tools have ZERO rights over any creative works you make with those tools. People have this odd tendency to think that anything computer-related is somehow different from everything else, but... it isn't. The mere fact that more than one person here thought it was necessary to ask the CarveWright people for permission to give away or sell copies of independently created PTN files is kind of scary, because that means those people don't understand their own rights of ownership over the works they create.

Sadly there have been examples of certain software companies who actually think they do have some right to control what you do with their software. For instance a certain company thought they actually could tell users of their software that they couldn't use said software to write anything bad about said company. Which is of course an obvious violation of the user's 1st Amendment rights. It's not too farfetched to imagine a software company that would actually respond to confused user inquiries about copyright with, "sure you can copy your files, just send us $5 for every copy you make because the file was made using our software".

I wouldn't want anyone to be exploited like that, thus I have provided this quick'n'dirty and hopefully useful explanation of your basic rights under US copyright law. Hopefully it's also clear why the fact that you're using "software" rather than "hardware" tools to create your work has absolutely nothing to do with it. Not trying to offend anybody, just trying to correct some misconceptions.

Red,

I believe you've confused the actual case with the PTN format (as used in Designer) being owned by LHR AND the ability to create something with it. As you indicated, MicroSoft might well not own something you created using the WMA format, but it sure owns the actual format code and only if it's licensed can you use it with other programs/software. What you create with the software, is your's, but as the case of Apple and it's I-Pod formats (etc.) you can use the format, but only on their gear or other gear that they have issued licenses for (are there any?). Thus, what you indicated is correct, but failed to add the limitations when that creation is still contained in a computer code format.

Bob Hill
    Tampa Florida

RedBear,
    Though your statements are compelling, they are very inaccurate. LHR can own the PTN file format if they choose to register it and can have complete control over distribution of data in that file format. Many companies do this. One of the most obvious is the MPEG format. MPEG-2 and later files require permission from the owners of the file format in order to create/distribute MPEG-2 and later files. Similar capabilities exist with many other formats such as MP3. The CAE industry is filled with software file formats that can only be used with a particular program and data written in that format may not be transferred to any other program or only to registered programs. This is why IGES hung around for so long. It was one of the few file format methods of transferring geometric data that was available for open use.
    Though these companies do not own or have any claim to the data that is stored in their particular file formats, they do have control over what can be done with those files. It's another aspect to proprietary rights.
    So don't believe that just because you created a data file that you can do anything with it that you want. There may be limitations. Those people asking permission to use this file format are correct in doing so.
    //
    // Matthew
    // "When all else fails, follow directions."
    //

Though your statements are compelling, they are very inaccurate. LHR can own the PTN file format
    No sorry not a good idea, CompuServe’s "Gif” format was almost dropped from most art programs because of this thinking.

One of the most obvious is the MPEG format. MPEG-2 and later files require permission from the owners of the file format in order to create/distribute MPEG-2
    This is not a good example and inaccurate as we are not copying or compressing video/players are we...

So don't believe that just because you created a data file that you can do anything with it that you want. There may be limitations.
    Tell that to DFX or OBJ with over 20 years of cad inport and export just about all cad progarms will understand, if not one can transate the data with in 5 min.

Its the user that has limtations.

Lig
    Last edited by liquidguitars; 03-28-2007 at 12:05 PM.

Default Geeeez

Blah, Blah, Blah......some of you guys are splitting hairs over this topic. If your sooooooo worried about copyright, why did you even buy this machine. I mean really, now your talking about making stuff using copyright programs being illegal. Good lord, this is getting way out of hand. If I happen to use something with a copyright.......catch me if you can. Don't plan on having any CEO's over in the near future anyways. Relax people!

Default Ain't It The Truth

I'm With You Robbie

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast