Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Forum Thoughts - Patterns

Default Forum Thoughts - Patterns

My wife and I are talking about putting up a website for patterns.
    I purchased some software and talked to a couple of graphic artists.
    Our thought is to have a site with patterns at a very reasonable price. (below $10) We are not looking to make alot of money, but before we invest our time and money do you think there would be an interest in a site like this. Everyones thoughts would be greatly appriciated.

I'd Buy 5 Right Now Just To Get Me Started. Go 4 It. (remember Quality Though)

Default Forum Thoughts - Patterns

You bet. What types of patterns?
    Placed 1st and 3rd in the 2011 Desert Woodcarvers Show

www.customwoodcarvingllc.com

We would like to have high quality patterns in alot of different catagories.
    Also would like to add a cosignment page were others could sell their patterns. It will take awhile to get this rolling but if we could some input on what types of patterns to start with ..that would help

Thanks
    Herb

Herb, I admire your quest for self employment, but wonder why. So many of us are giving our work, our scans, & ideas here for free, how would you prosper? Secondly is the matter (discussed here before) of ownership of the artwork. Third is the availability of truly profesional PTN files fron VA3D for a reasonable sum. Just wondering what you think?
    The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Do it on a Mac.
    Vietnam Vet '65-'66

Quote Originally Posted by HerbO View Post
    We would like to have high quality patterns in alot of different catagories.
    Many of the forum members have generously posted FREE patterns in the forum's pattern sharing depot!! (at the top of this "gallery" section for some excellent patterns)

For those looking for extremely high quality 3D patterns and scenes checkout - http://www.vectorart3d.com/

Setting up a site and consignment arrangement sounds like a lot of hassle and work - time better spent CARVING!!!

Well for self employment I already am. I do tech support from my home for a local ISP. We only have dialup which is dewindling fast. I answer the phone 12 hours a day 7 days a week. I do my other hobbies between phone calls. Today being saturday I only had 5 calls. With customer base getting smaller so is my bill to the ISP. I wouldn't think it would be prosperous the first few years but like any business you only hope someday it would. Talking to a couple of graphics artists they could do high quality patterns(of course that remains to be seen) They would sell me the work with the copyright. I would also state that you could mass produce and sell the carvings but do not sell the pattern itself. The gallery depot in this forum it is Great and I have carved some of the patterns posted. Since they were shared I wouldn't want to sell the carving because I didn't make the pattern myself or purchase it. If I am looking for something special that no one has posted in the gallery then I need to purchase one. As for VA3D they do have Great patterns. My brother inlaws bithday is coming up and he loves to fish and I would like to carve one of the fishing scenes for him but at $75 ...he is a good brother inlaw but not that good If I could buy the pattern for $10 I would do it.
    I highly regard the opinions of this forum so any input is welcome.

Thanks
    Herb

Default Give it a try..

Give it a try and see what happens. I also agree that the vectorart files are to expensive. $10 is better, and you will probably sell a ton. As far as the cw forum. Hardly anyone posts anymore, and a bunch have been removed(due to the dreaded copyright issue). I alos have been looking AT producing patterns for use with the machine. I have 2 graphic artists who with me are going to create original art to work with and sell.
    In response to others...
    Why not try it?!>>
    Still using 1.120 & 1.126

I am glad someone is also looking into the venture. The more patterns available will be beneficial to CW and CW owners. I have been self employed for many years. My last business before tech support was VCR repair. When I started repairing VCR's were around $300 and of course I had the close the doors when you could purchase one for $60

Thanks
    Herb

I hope your considering having the files in other formats besides carvewright's. There are probably more cnc routers out there than carvewright systems. I currently have both types and would buy from you at those prices.
    Kipp

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast