Thread: Xmas gifts

Default Xmas gifts

Bad to get where you can't remember if you have done something, not sure if I posted this when I did the first ones. Anyway, made some of these a few years ago and forgot about them. Suddenly they popped up as an item of interest. Started out making a couple and am up to 10. Might be a money maker, haven't pursued that side, not a lot of money for lumber and quick carving time. I didn't invent the bench, it's called a Leopold bench and you can find a lot of them via google. Lots of different sizes of materials used. I used Douglas fir since Home Depot does carry it and it's more durable than pine. If you live where you can get redwood? Did use thickness planer to create a flat side on the 2x6. Sprayed the 2x6 with lacquer sealer before carving to help stop bleeding, covered with adhesive shelving paper and after the carve sprayed letters with black paint. Did have some bleeding that I removed with either planing or sanding. Ones I did previously I coated with exterior poly, when I checked on them and they had weathered a nice gray so decided not to try and coat with any poly.
    I made two benches using 1- 2x6x8, 1- 2x10x8 , 2- 2x8x10, 12- 3 1/2"x 3/8 galvanized carriage bolts with nuts & flat washers, 24- 3 1/2' exterior screws. Most were 15 minutes or less on optimal carve using centerline .

Rick H
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image2.jpg   Image1.jpg  

Very clever and useful! They make a very useful Christmas gift, nicely personalized! Thank you for sharing the idea and the details of the project!

3. Default

Looks like a great gift idea!