Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Universal Carrier Base

You have me stumped. The only time I get the machine to z stall is if the bit misses the touch hole.

You will have to explain to me exactly what the machine does. Does it stall on the first bob? Does it stall on the carrier side or on the the board? How thick are the sides of your carrier base?

I hope I didn't confuse you with what I posted. Wasn't sure on this UCB (universal carrier board), but I now understand it better after Bergerud explained it. My bad also.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

The attached 30 second video shows what is taking place after I jog to the front mark opposite the front touch hole and press Enter. It appears I'm still doing something wrong because as you mention the bit misses the touch hole. When the bit moves to the right side it bobs and hits the carrier side and that is when the "Z Axis Stall" appears on the LED display. The UCB is constructed of 1/2" MDF.

[VIDEO]https://youtu.be/jeiOu79vooA

The touch hole is on the wrong side. Where the bit stalls is where the hole is supposed to be. You either have to flip the jig around or drill the touch hole on the other side.

bergerud, thank you! After sending the video I read your comment again where you stated you only had the z axis stall when it missed the touch hole. Well the lights finally lit in this near 70 yr old brain. Yep, wrong side. I now have 4 touch holes, two that work.

I just made one but I used 3/4 mdf will I have a issue with it? I'm knew to this it was easy to build

I don't think that 3/4 MDF is going to matter except it will limit your max. usable board width by 1/2". I just used my carrier today on a board that I could not get flat/square enough to work with the machine. Was getting tracking sensor errors or "clear board sensor" errors. Worked great in the carrier

3/4" is ok. The bob holes in the side will not be in the center as they would be with the 5/8".

I made it out of 3/4 mdf. it was easy to build, and looked good but would not fit in the machine it was to tall. the head was all the way up, it just be that 1/4 inch, lol it was good practice making it, back to the store for 1/2 inch,

The UCB is less than 4 inches high! What did you build?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast