Thread: Painting outdoor signs?

Default Painting outdoor signs?

Have 3 signs to paint.
    Main color will be white.
    The white I can get a exterior paint from Lowes, since this will be primary color.

But for the accent colors which paints would I get at hobby lobby since this will be cheaper than buying pints from lowes.
    There will be about 6-7 different colors.

Then what would you seal the signs with?
    John

A coat of exterior poly would do it but there is a slight amber tint in most I have used. I don't notice it a lot unless I put a piece I have coated next to something white and uncoated, then it looks off-white.
    Rick H

Hi Jaustin I've been doing outside signs here lately and I have been using the color Bone or off white. When I spray it with out door varnish it has a amber look. I put at least 3 or 4 coats of varnish and figure that it will last a long time outside. The other colors don't seen to change color. I use acrylic for the colors. Have fun painting.

I buy the paint samples from home depot they will mix them up in any color they are like $ 3.50 a piece

Hope this helps, I made a few signs for outdoors use. The paints I use are indoor and outdoor, as long as my last cover coats are for outdoors use. To take the rough weather I looked to the marine world, where Spar urethane is the choice I found. I have had great success with spar. I have applied over water and oil based paints, once they have dried. I have a couple that hang on gates out in the woods. They have been there of four years now and still look great. They take the weather that Wisconsin can get very well. I like to put three or four coats on my outdoor signs, more if they get full sun.