Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couple sign I did for a friend.

Default Couple sign I did for a friend.

Had a request to make a couple signs from a coworker.

Closest to woodworking I have done in awhile. Been making lathe turning tools the last few months and this was a nice break.

Machine marks still show up and I sand what seems like for ever. Going to resand it after it dries and hopefully i can get them to go away.

John

Jausten your two signs really look nice!! Your friend should like them.

Very cool signs. I am sure they will love them.

Really some great looking signs!

Both signs are outstanding!! My favorite is the lodge sign, very creative work!

Both signs came out great, I really like the lodge one!

Thanks all,
    I did 3 more but 1 of them failed something slipped or lost its alignment.I am going to have to redo it.
    John

8. Default

Hi Justin,

I am an old NEWBIE still trying to learn I love this plaque and I am wanting to make one for a friend, who is into Corvettes, could you share with me how your were able to get the Truck to look so good? I would appreciate any help you could send my way. Thank you

Loriblackdog

Justin,

The plaques came out really good. You mentioned that the machine marks were difficult to sand out. What quality setting did you use when you uploaded the project to the memory card? Even though it takes considerably longer, I almost always use "Optimal" except for projects with little or no detail. Even then, the flat areas will still have machine marks. The settings actually change what is called the bit "step-over" and it's usually measured in percentages. So a 10% step-over for a 1/16" bit will be considerably less than a 10% step-over for the 3/16 bit. It's actually telling the machine how much the bit should over lap the previous pass and since the carving bits have a ball nose there will always be machining lines. Using the optimal setting will not completely eliminate them but it will reduce the amount of sanding. Did I mention "I hate to sand"?
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 12-28-2016 at 11:10 AM.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Loriblackdog View Post
    Hi Justin,

I am an old NEWBIE still trying to learn I love this plaque and I am wanting to make one for a friend, who is into Corvettes, could you share with me how your were able to get the Truck to look so good? I would appreciate any help you could send my way. Thank you

Loriblackdog

I found the pattern on the forum. There probably a vette pattern on the forum.
    John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast