Thread: MPC cutting to deep

Default MPC cutting to deep

Making a sign with lettering and a graphic. Made a pattern from an imported PNG pic for the graphic part. The rest is just text.
    Board measures 1/4 in. thick by 48 in long by 11 7/8 in wide. Is attached to a sled that is 1/2 in. thick by 56 in long by 11 7/8 in wide with 1/4 in. by 4 in by 11 7/8 in fillers at the ends.
    The carve immediately went through the board and has gone into the sled by what looks to be 1/16 in. I can't seem to figure out what I've done wrong. Appreciate any help. MPC & pic attached.
    Verified the bit is tight in the chuck, also had noticed there was no 'draft' on the edge of the cutting while the MPC shows 1/4 in. Also the cut out area doesn't seem to match the design of the pattern, appears way to rounded to me.
    Thx,
    Rick H
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image1.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by want2b; 11-19-2016 at 01:38 PM. Reason: add info

That just does not make any sense. Could it be the wrong mpc? Two versions or a different mpc? I would reformat and upload it again and then test on some scrap.

I can tell you when it happened to me... I was carving a "thumb" pull on a pie box lid in 1/4 in birch ply. I had waste 1/4 inch material at the edges of the box lid for the 3.5in excess. The box lid had a slightly rounded corner... so there was this minute gap between the corner and the waste. That's where the surface touch happened, and I wasn't watching. But there was a nice puncture in the tape!

Something to look at

It should have no effect but your project board thickness in designer is .750".

Did the bit touch good on the bit plate and the board surface? Any unusual messages at the machine during the start up routine?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

I actually watched all the bit touch operations and all was well. I use the jog to touch on every project just so I don't forget on a lot of sled projects. No unusual or error messages.
    I decided to start from scratch and formatted the card. Reloaded the same board and the newly loaded card and watched it again and all went well. Go figure. As we used to say when a problem disappeared, PFM. Have set up a new board and see what happens. Will post results, carve in progress.
    Thanks for you responses, does give me somethings to watch out for.
    Thx, Rick H

If this is what you were going for, I just inverted the text. It should carve okay.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 11-19-2016 at 09:14 PM.
    Steve

Mabe this you might like with center line
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.