Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Considering STL Importer

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    If you plan to use 3rd party programs to create 3D and 2.5D projects the STL importer is the ONLY way you can import them into the Designer.
    Pattern Sculptor also imports STL files and works quite well.

Please do not dismiss the utility of carving Sketchup designs using STL Importer. I have carved wooden lock parts, hinges, boxes, and many spoons designed in Sketchup and imported with STL Importer.
    Bob D.

Quote Originally Posted by DickB View Post
    Pattern Sculptor also imports STL files and works quite well.
    It does but Sculptor doesn't have the controls or options like slicing, sizing, rotation of the slicing planes, rotary, etc. It pretty much just brings in a 3d image for surface "sculpting". If you are just looking to import .stl images from other programs, the STL Importer will give you the most versatility.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 11-28-2016 at 12:21 PM.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    It does but Sculptor doesn't have the controls or options like slicing, sizing, rotation of the slicing planes, rotary, etc. It pretty much just brings in a 3d image for surface "sculpting". If you are just looking to import .stl images from other programs, the STL Importer will give you the most versatility.
    No question STL Importer is more versatile, but it is not the only option. You can do quite a bit with Sculptor, more than you suggest. You can adjust the size and height of the "slice". I did this Harry Potter Golden Snitch clock using Sculptor. The body was done in two slices using Sculptor and Pattern Editor to make the slices. The wings were done with a two-sided carve sliced from the 3D model. You can manipulate the "slices" in Sculptor along all sides of the model such as front and back but you are limited to 90-degree only orientations - no infinite rotation. I also made the Millennium Falcon clock using Sculptor on a full 3D model. I'm working on making a full 3D version of the Falcon using Sculptor to slice the model top, bottom, and sides.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151103_154811.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	2.21 MB 
ID:	82517 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151113_131438.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	82520 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151113_131457.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	82518 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161022_105631.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	402.6 KB 
ID:	82519

Dick,

You are right. I usually use the STL importer for importing and only use Sculptor for sculpting. I never paid much attention to the import tools in Sculptor. Limited but they are there. I have been schooled.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 11-28-2016 at 07:18 PM.
    Steve

I have Solidworks and plan to buy STL Importer in a couple days. I have a 3D model of a 57 Chevy I am anxious to try. Sounds like the software is worth it.
    Experience is a doorway -- Not a final goal.

Congrats. I hope you really enjoy the software. Pattern making and model building can become addicting.

Solidworks looks...solid.

Let us know how your Chevy comes out. Keep an eye on how deep you need your pattern to be. I've had problems making good patterns from car models due to their depth. A lot of the detail is lost due to that. A slice along the side or front view works a little better but it will depend on what you are ultimately striving for. I have resorted to rendering the 3d model as a depth map (grey scale on the z buffer) to get a usable pattern.

Yes it can become addicting and fun. I did this with the STL importer
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3624.JPG  
    B Lantz

Quote Originally Posted by blantz View Post
    Yes it can become addicting and fun. I did this with the STL importer
    Nice GTO, I like

I am excited to ty it. I love the GTO. I am hoping to make my 57 about 18" long.
    Experience is a doorway -- Not a final goal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12