Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kingsville plaques

Thanks Steve, Norm and Robert! It's my first project post, as you all do such beautiful work that it's a bit intimidating!

For those that are interested in the sled process:

Hubbie made an mdf base/pine sidewall sled.
    Two of the disks were 1.75", and the third was 1/8 inch less. He cut the side walls to match the thinnest. Then we used craft sticks taped to the side walls for the thicker ones (those the size of tongue depressors) to bring it level.
    We used carpet tape (1.5" fabric stuff), 2 strips the width of the disks to hold them in place. Interesting stuff, the disks were easy to pull up, but you could not push them side to side to save your life.
    Just to be safe (and so we didn't have to plane another one ), we put 1/2" screws at four spots in the mdf around the disks to stop them from shifting.
    It was the first time I had used to "Jog to Center", but we trimmed my pine test carve to the shape of the carve, and located/marked the "center" of the disk.
    Heaven help us, it all worked the first time!

Diane,

Thank you for the clearly detailed sled process. It will be very helpful to many contemplating similar situations. I have some walnut slices that I will be doing a project with soon. Your awards are beautiful!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12