Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Dust Collection System?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    I saw this DC adapter on Rockler a week or so ago. I own both RingNeckBlues and the Dust devil and , IMHO, Floyd's works the best and is the easiest to use. Since Floyd's works so well I had decided to wait an see what the reviews on this new one would be but, after giving it a second thought, I went ahead and purchased it. It came in the mail a couple of days ago but I haven't had a chance mount it on the machine and test it yet. BTW, the info on the web is incorrect. Mine came with a 4" adapter. If you plan to attach a 4" hose with a clamp it should work great but the standard 4" DC fittings and couplings don't seem to fit very well and they fit perfectly on Floyd's. I guess the "work-around" would be to use a short section of 4" hose as an adapter. More testing later.
    So you are saying the product description is incorrect?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by fwharris View Post
    So you are saying the product description is incorrect?

It is indeed, unless they offer two different sizes. Mine has a 4" port. I thought that in a pinch I could use it with my Fein vacuum but was surprised when it arrived in the mail. I called Rockler just a few minutes ago and they said they would look into it.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 11-14-2016 at 11:57 AM.
    Steve

I also asked the question as I was checking to see if the free shipping from Rockler might also apply to Canada. Not.

Quote Originally Posted by DianMayfield View Post
    Steve,

Curious as to how you seal the crimped opening? I find that I am getting a fair bit of vacuum leakage, so I have defaulted to fighting the bit change situation.

Thanks,
    Dian

Dian,

I use a quick DC disconnect that fits fairly snug. Even with a wire tucked inside for a ground. The Dust Devil has a lot of vacuum leakage around the open ends that I plugged with custom made wooden blocks. Unless you have done something similar, it will leak a lot more than the crimped edges on the RingNeckBlues.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 11-14-2016 at 12:08 PM.
    Steve

LOL, the DD has a lot of duct tape and window seal foam! But, since the DC adapter is the only thing that comes off, the seal is pretty good.

Window foam just doesn't work on the other, and taping is a pain when you want to be able to shift to another tool fairly frequently. The DC adapter leaves about 1.5 inches of the crimping exposed. Perhaps I can find one that is rubberized, like plumbing fittings.

Thanks for the quick response!

Quote Originally Posted by DianMayfield View Post
    LOL, the DD has a lot of duct tape and window seal foam! But, since the DC adapter is the only thing that comes off, the seal is pretty good.

Window foam just doesn't work on the other, and taping is a pain when you want to be able to shift to another tool fairly frequently. The DC adapter leaves about 1.5 inches of the crimping exposed. Perhaps I can find one that is rubberized, like plumbing fittings.

Thanks for the quick response!
    Dian,

I really think the leakage is minimal. However, you could use a pair of tin snips to trim off a little of the crimping. Then, put 2 or 3 cuts an inch or so past the crimping for adjustment. You could also use a short section of 4" hose and just put a strip of duct tape around the joint and a quick disconnect on the other end.

Maybe you are a candidate for the the new adapter. It is in two pieces and just snaps together so the inner section can be removed easily. I'll post more when its installed and tested.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 11-14-2016 at 01:46 PM.
    Steve

In the early years 2007 I made a collector from copper circuit board material. I cut a slot in the bottom to rest over the knife edge of the frame and sealed it with weather seal. Over the years the effectiveness of the dust collection was cut by leaks in the slot I cut in the bottom to fit over the knife edge. I bought a RingNeck Collector and in my opinion I got a 75% improvement from my slotted version. Thumbs up for the RingNeck Version.

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC03396_WEB.jpg   DSC03465_WEB.jpg   DSC03398_WEB.jpg   DSC03425_WEB.jpg  

DSC03417_WEB.jpg   DSC06949_WEB.jpg   DSC03410_WEB.jpg   DSC03411_WEB.jpg  

Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

I got an email from Carvewright for the sale of the new dust collector. I have the Ring Neck Blues system on my machine which does a nice job. I like the new idea where it comes apart but would like to know how that is going to hold up over time. Keep us posted how this works out.
    CarverJerry

ver. 1.188 Win 7- 64b with 6 GB ram @ 2.8Ghz and dual 1Tb hard drives. Rock Chuck & Ringneck vacuum system hooked up to a Harbor Freight large vacuum. Center line text, conforming vectors.

9. Default

I've yet to install my RNB DC. Does anyone have any idea if the new hood would accommodate the RNB? I am loathe to cut my brandy new hood. Thanks, -Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jamescwatts View Post
    I've yet to install my RNB DC. Does anyone have any idea if the new hood would accommodate the RNB? I am loathe to cut my brandy new hood. Thanks, -Jim
    The RNB insert serves the same purpose as the CW dust hood. Go ahead and cut that cover. It is much better to cut the cover and use the insert. The pre-cut cover will accommodate the RNB.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast