Thread: Need some professional woodworker advice please.

Default Need some professional woodworker advice please.

Not CW related but some of you could offer some insight i'm sure. I would appreciate some advice. I have started building some shipping boxes for an industrial company. Various sizes, like 10x10x34 ID from 3/4 BC pine plywood. These boxes are all done with rabbit joints, glued and screwed. My question is this... how best (easiest) to cut the rabbits. I did one order of 25 where I did it in two passes with a standard blade, then one of 50 in one pass with a dado blade set. The sides are cut each end, top and bottom on 4 sides. The dado blade has the advantage of only handling each piece once, but as I got toward the end it stated really taxing my table saw because the blades got dull I believe (Freud dado set, not cheap). I use a Grizzly cabinet saw with 3 HP. Using the standard blade is easier on the saw, but it requires passing each piece over the saw with two different set ups and when you are talking about 200 pieces, that takes time. I really don't want to have to go through a new dado set each order, there is no sharpening service near me. This new part of my business has the potential to get big, so I need to solve this. Any opinions?
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

With the dado blade you need to take shallow passes each time to get to your final depth. Trying to do full depth will over work the saw and blade.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Have you considered a table mounted router with a rabbiting bit? One pass with a big enough router motor. A good carbide bit will last a long time. The bit as with your saw blades should be cleaned of pitch and glues often. If you do not have a router, check Craig's list. There normally are a few of on there people have used very little and want to part with.

My first thought was also a router set up. Since you already have a Grizzly table saw, might think about obtaining the Grizzly extension table with router set up.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/Rout...ce=grizzly.com

5. Default

Plywood is tough on any cutter. When I was making china hutches (years ago) I used a router with shop made jig to cut all dados and rabbets at one time. I just laid the jig over the sides and cut them all at on setup. It worked well with birch plywood.

dehrlich for this type of job I would use a shaper not a router. It has more power you can sharpen the cutters your self. Build a 2 pass jig. .

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm going to have to just stick with the two pass option for now, less strain on the saw and prolly quicker in the long run since they are pretty easy cuts. Once I get a few more orders done, then maybe I can afford a shaper (just had to get a sliding miter saw)... that is IF i can find the room for it lol.
    Kansas Wood Shop
    Disabled Veteran owned and operated
    Visit www.kansaswood.com
    A machine with rock, CS machine, Designer 3, centerline, conforming vectors

I sent a PM