Thread: pattern issue

Default pattern issue

I have tried making this type pattern in the past. I had received my carvewright back after getting upgrades done and this is the first chance i have had to try it. In the past when ever i did chinese character it always broke out. Can anyone give me a real novice how o use this pattern so it will not break out on me.
    Thank you all in advance

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coffee no background.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	82371Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coffee shop.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	82372

The first consideration is the lumber you are using. Most hardwoods can maintain a razor sharp edge for the patterns while softwoods do not. Also assess the grain of the lumber. Is the grain nice and tight of old growth or is it really wide due to new growth. Also is it vertical or horizontal to your pattern. One way or the other may be better.

Second consideration is the pattern. Add draft to the pattern. It gives the vertical edges support so there is less chance of breakout. The downside it adds thickness to the surfaces which can distort the image. I usually can get away with a small draft which isn't too bad.

If you have the editor you can also select individual elements and use blur or soften to round over the edges so there is less chance of break out without affecting the entire pattern.

How big is your project - that is, how big will the pattern be on your virtual board? The images that you posted are very small - do you ga=have higher-resolution images?

Default Coffee sign

I was given a file that is a .ai but i had no way of reading it so i had then send me a jpg. If anyone can read a .ai file i can send it. i wanted to be about a 13 wide by th max length to not make it looked all out of shape.. But i guess it will be carved sideways using max width and the length will be to accommodate the sizing
    As far as wood is Oak a good choice or does that break off easily. other suggestions for wood. I will do the small draft as suggested.

I tried to copy the .ai file to here but my laptop says does not support it.

Any help will be great

Give this free program a try: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...484#post144484
    Let us know your result. I suspect if it works you will end up with a bunch of vectors. If so, Designer 3 Make Vector Group might be a good choice to use a v bit instead of a craving.

Quote Originally Posted by mfitz55 View Post
    I tried to copy the .ai file to here but my laptop says does not support it.
    I think you could make it a zip file and upload it to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by mfitz55 View Post
    I have tried making this type pattern in the past. I had received my carvewright back after getting upgrades done and this is the first chance i have had to try it. In the past when ever i did chinese character it always broke out. Can anyone give me a real novice how o use this pattern so it will not break out on me.
    Thank you all in advance

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coffee no background.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	82371Click image for larger version. 

Name:	coffee shop.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	24.8 KB 
ID:	82372
    Hi; To help with Chip out it is a good Idea to set the Draft, I use Medium most of the time. And set Bit Optimization to Best. I made a pattern with ShaderMap Pro to give the carving a 3d look; this helps a lot too. If you would like the pattern files -send me a "PM" with your e-mail; I can send them to you. You need a very clean drawing to make your patterns. I change my Raster drawings to a vector image; this removes a lot of trash in the image. BJB
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails coffee shop_vectorized_DISP-cw.PNG   coffee no background Re-size_vectorized 1-cw.PNG  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bjbethke; 11-05-2016 at 01:59 PM.
    Using Designer Version 1.187
    Donations are always welcomed, thanks – send a check to my PO Box 652

BJB
    PO Box 652
    Yellville,AR 72687-0652

PM me for my e-mail address.