Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Machine won't come on

Yes, I have a voltmeter, but I don't know where and how to check.

Thanks
    Rocky

There is a lot of some kind of sealant there that I'm having trouble removing (see photo). The other side (middle of other photo) looks like where it may be soldered.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1101161005.jpg   1101161001.jpg  
    Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
    Yes, I have a voltmeter, but I don't know where and how to check.

Thanks
    The plug with the yellow, two blacks, and the red wire. (Bottom left in your first picture.) Just put the voltmeter probes into the plug from above to touch the metal clips inside the plug. Yellow - black - 24V. Red - black - 5V. (Do not disconnect the plug to test to test as the output of the power supply depends on load.)
    Last edited by bergerud; 11-01-2016 at 07:49 PM.

No power at all....no 5V or 24V.

Looks like a new power supply is needed.

Thanks for the help.
    Rocky

Is the power supply getting the line voltage? It could be your power switch for example.

Thanks, will check.
    Rocky

7. Question LCD just shows squares

Today I turned my Carvewright on and the initial Carvewright woodworking system was stuck on the LCD Display and would not go to the project menu. I cleaned everything and eventually after an hour it went from being stuck on the Carvewright woodworking system to just black squares. Not sure what is going on but I have had nothing but problems with the machine since I got it and have had to call in and order new parts constantly. Any help is appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    The plug with the yellow, two blacks, and the red wire. (Bottom left in your first picture.) Just put the voltmeter probes into the plug from above to touch the metal clips inside the plug. Yellow - black - 24V. Red - black - 5V. (Do not disconnect the plug to test to test as the output of the power supply depends on load.)
    To check the supply without it being plugged into the controller you can unplug the power jack from the controller(wires colored red, black, black, yellow) and insert a resistor into the holes of the female jack across the red and one of the two black wires. This will load the power supply so you can check the 24 volts between the yellow wire and black. I tried a 4.3K resistor and it was too much resistance. I ended up using a 10 Ohm resistor I had laying around. You should have some voltage between the red and one of the two black wires regardless of the wires being connected to the controller.

I wish I had known this before I tried to test my power supply with the wires unplugged. I guess it's kind of like the old ATX computer power supplies, you had to jumper a pair of particular wires to ground to get any output out of them too. I guess I'll have an extra supply now. I didn't try just connecting the red to ground but I suspect it will work without the resistor but I didn't want to risk frying something in the power supply. The old ATX computer supplies worked by just shorting the wires.

Testing it without the controller connected will eliminate the controller as being the reason your power supply is not working.

It's a Holiday Weekend.... but a heads up on Monday... The thumbs up is broke.... I can live without it.... Just wanted to give a Thumbs Up to this thread and post... I am a Power Supply guy.... fixed them at Sony.... Did not know about the resistor trick.... Learned something new...

AL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1 aCW1.png  
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12