Thread: Carving problem

Unhappy Carving problem

I am currently been having an ongoing problem with my CarveWright machine. As you can see from the pictures, it stops carving and starts doing strange cuts. One I was watching it and it almost finished and started carving the opposite way and then stopped and said it was complete. I tried a second piece and it got worse on that piece. I have replaced the FFC cable because it has done it before and this is what I got after I installed it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Carve 1.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	685.6 KB 
ID:	82323

Name:	Carve 2.JPG 
Views:	35 
Size:	603.5 KB 
ID:	82324

This is what I had before I replaced the cable.

Name:	Carve 1B.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	577.2 KB 
ID:	82325

Name:	Carve 1A.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	577.9 KB 
ID:	82326

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Are you using the 7" rule to keep the board under the rollers while carving? And putting masking tape on the bottom edge of the board that rides on the brass roller?

Getting any error messages?
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

This is a brass roller problem. The brass roller is either slipping or rubbing on the front rubber belt. It is not tracking on the board as it should.

Look under the board for brass roller marks. If the brass roller is working properly and pressing hard on the board, it will leave marks.

If the brass roller is not pressing hard on the board, the rubber damper beneath it many be missing.

Press the brass roller down by hand to see how stiff it is and to see how close its O ring comes to the rubber belt (if you have rubber belts).

Any defects in the board edge that is in contact with the brass roller?

I would clean the Z Encoder too... and check for a frozen Z roller bearing too.

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Thanks everyone, when I get home from my trip I will check those items out and let everyone know how it works out.

Yes, I get a lot of check board sensor and clear board sensor. I also get tracking roller errors. Sometimes if I change the type of wood, it will run. I have tried tape under the board to ensure the tracking roller is working and still have issues.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you for your help, I applied masking tape and the brass roller is making contact with the board. As soon as I select start a project, I get the message that it is measuring the board and then I get a "tracking wheel error", so I select yes to proceed and then I get a "board error". I have tried different boards and get same error most of the time. I have removed the brass wheel and checked it out and it appears to be fine and the damper is fine. So I am at a loss as to the problem. I appreciate your help.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    This is a brass roller problem. The brass roller is either slipping or rubbing on the front rubber belt. It is not tracking on the board as it should.

Look under the board for brass roller marks. If the brass roller is working properly and pressing hard on the board, it will leave marks.

If the brass roller is not pressing hard on the board, the rubber damper beneath it many be missing.

Press the brass roller down by hand to see how stiff it is and to see how close its O ring comes to the rubber belt (if you have rubber belts).

Anyway, here is what happened when I ran the machine. As suggested, I applied masking tape and the brass roller is making contact with the board. As soon as I select start a project, I get the message that it is measuring the board and then I get a "tracking wheel error", so I select yes to proceed and then I get a "board error". I have tried different boards and get same error most of the time. I have removed the brass wheel and checked it out and it appears to be fine and the damper is fine. So I reinstalled the wheel and checked the pressure and it was 85 lbs. Do you think the tracking wheel has a problem internally?

So I am at a loss as to the problem. I appreciate your help.