Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carving moving to the right 1 1/2"

Default Carving moving to the right 1 1/2"

I am having a problem that I can't figure out. I have tried 3 times. When carving it starts out fine but at about 10% through the carving the entire project moves to the right 1 1/2". I have cleaned the machine thoroughly. unplugged everything and blew them out. Cleaned the y motor, z motor. Restarted the project and the same thing happens. I have included a picture. You can see on the UCB where the carving carved into the UCB on the previous carve. Please let me know if you have any ideas what the problem is. The carve moves at the exact same place every time.
    Thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 14858549_10202553168306301_1360885319_o.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Heather

Heather,

It looks like the "jump" is right at the top edge of your pattern (amme). Try reducing the pattern to fit the carve region. In the example I also removed the merges and set the draft on the text to medium.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 10-28-2016 at 02:04 PM.
    Steve

Thanks for looking at the post. I clipped the carving so the carving would be within the frame. Why would it move the entire carving right 1 1/2". I never had this happen before and made the MPC the same? The board is 1/2" longer on all 4 sides than the MPC calls for. The carving actually carved off the wood onto the sides of the UCB and then some. The MPC calls for a 13" long by 11" wide board but the carving is only 12" long by 10" wide. Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    Heather,

It looks like the "jump" is right at the top edge of your pattern (amme). Try reducing the pattern to fit the carve region. In the example I also removed the merges and set the draft on the text to medium.
    Heather

That makes no sense to me at all. Since I cannot see any reason why it would do that, I think it must be some sort of bug to do with having the pattern off of the board. I will play with it when I get home. (Maybe you could remake the pattern cropped and see what happens.)

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    That makes no sense to me at all. Since I cannot see any reason why it would do that, I think it must be some sort of bug to do with having the pattern off of the board. I will play with it when I get home. (Maybe you could remake the pattern cropped and see what happens.)
    With the pattern of the people, I always remove the background and like to have the people higher than the board so I butt the people pattern all the way to the insides of the recessed area so you don't see the sides of the pattern. I then use the clip carving to clip it to the recessed areas. Never had anything like this happen before. When you say crop the pattern are you meaning make the pattern of the people smaller than the recessed area so there is no need to clip the carving? Thanks
    Heather

Quote Originally Posted by sunmiztres View Post
    With the pattern of the people, I always remove the background and like to have the people higher than the board so I butt the people pattern all the way to the insides of the recessed area so you don't see the sides of the pattern. I then use the clip carving to clip it to the recessed areas. Never had anything like this happen before. When you say crop the pattern are you meaning make the pattern of the people smaller than the recessed area so there is no need to clip the carving? Thanks
    No, I just wanted the pattern to be on the board. Put the pattern on a board the size you want the pattern to be and remake the pattern. It will be cropped using the board edges. I was wondering whether having the pattern off the board is related to the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sunmiztres View Post
    Thanks for looking at the post. I clipped the carving so the carving would be within the frame. Why would it move the entire carving right 1 1/2". I never had this happen before and made the MPC the same? The board is 1/2" longer on all 4 sides than the MPC calls for. The carving actually carved off the wood onto the sides of the UCB and then some. The MPC calls for a 13" long by 11" wide board but the carving is only 12" long by 10" wide. Any ideas?
    I don't think it moved anything. It looks like the machine tried to carve the pattern beyond the edge of the board. Dan could be right about a bug but there have been a lot of people carving signs that are larger than the width capacity of the machine using that technique. I'm not really sure what is going on. You could also try reformatting and re-flashing the data card.
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by SteveNelson46 View Post
    I don't think it moved anything. It looks like the machine tried to carve the pattern beyond the edge of the board. Dan could be right about a bug but there have been a lot of people carving signs that are larger than the width capacity of the machine using that technique. I'm not really sure what is going on. You could also try reformatting and re-flashing the data card.
    If you look at the picture the entire carving area moved up about an inch. It wasn't just where the carving of the cropped picture was. It's like the machine thought the edge of the carving was 1 1/2" from the edge of the board rather than 1/2". See picture I tried to explain it better.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 14858549_10202553168306301_1360885319_o.jpg  
    Heather

I was thinking that the pattern being off the board and clipped might be the cause of the bug. I will try the mpc on my machine.

Reformatting the card is a good idea. This could easily be a corrupt file issue.

I went ahead and tried a different MPC and it began to carve correctly but then after 3 passes the entire pattern shifted to the left by 1". The bottom started 1" higher which made the top of the carve come through the UCB and off the side of the board. The same as the other MPC but just much quicker this time. Any thoughts? I am thinking it is the machine and not the software. To me, it is like the y motor loses track of where the start carve is. When this first happened I Took off the motor as well as the z motor and made sure all was good and to my knowledge they looked good.
    Heather

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast