Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bit not touching Bit Plate

Default Bit not touching Bit Plate

The bit does not touch the bit plate. The Z-truck travels all the way to the right and is over the bit plate which swings out as it should, the truck lowers but not low enough for the bit to touch. I've tried different bits, I've cleaned, lubed, oiled, swore and nothing works. Can you help?

Make sure the electrical cord (or some obstruction) isn't blocking it from going all of the way down.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Does the truck move up and down smoothly? Sometimes the rollers get "lumpy" with dust in them.

Anything that causes a little resistance can be mistaken by the controller as touching the bit plate. (What happens if you push down on the flex a little to give it some help?)

Quote Originally Posted by fdupras View Post
    The bit does not touch the bit plate. The Z-truck travels all the way to the right and is over the bit plate which swings out as it should, the truck lowers but not low enough for the bit to touch. I've tried different bits, I've cleaned, lubed, oiled, swore and nothing works. Can you help?
    Wish new were you lived some one around you that has machine can help
    Henry

Every one has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film.

Reedley, California - Fresno County

I can move the truck up and down smoothly. As you suggested, I pushed down on the flex when it was over the plate. The bit would touch the plate each time, with a little help . . . however, when the truck returned to the left to seek the surface of the board it would not touch, thus resulting in an air carve. There is no cord or anything obstructing the downward travel.

There must be something causing extra drag on the z system. If it moves easily up and down by hand (with the machine off), you need to look more closely at the motor-gear-belt system. (If you help it also to touch the board, does it carve ok?)

Look for dust or pitch on the z-motor encoder.

O.K. . . . I gave the flex a "little help" going down to the plate, and then down to the board . . . it carved fine. Tried a second carving and the same problem, so I again gave it a "little help" and was able to carve.I'll try again tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestions! The belts look o.k., but I probably wouldn't recognize if something was wrong!Fred

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast