Thread: Saved .mpc not showing up

Default Saved .mpc not showing up

Hi all,

Very new to the game here, so maybe I am missing something. Approximately 3/4 of the time when I save a file from Designer (while paying very close attention to save it to the correct folder) the file will not show up when trying to access it later. It will show up when I open the folder in Windows, but not when I try to open from Designer. In the Windows folder it even has a different icon in front of it vs. the Carvewright icon. Any ideas what I may be doing wrong? I am attaching the view I get from Windows and from Designer.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Save as - Windows.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	61.8 KB 
ID:	82207Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Save as - Designer.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	82206

Thanks in advance

I have seen that issue too. Not sure if it is a designer or window issue.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Is it possible that you have other software installed which uses the same file extension?

Have you tried to right click the file in Windows explorer and change the default program?
    Last edited by bergerud; 10-19-2016 at 12:31 AM.

I'm probably way out in left field with this, but I noticed that it depends on the characters that I use when saving a file. Naturally, I don't remember which characters, but some did have an effect on mine, so I use only letters and numbers in mine. Just saying,
    Gary
    3D Pro Ver. 3.103 Build 14, STL & DXF Importer, Rotary, Conforming Vectors, Centerline- Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU T6500 @ 2.10GHz 4GB Ram 64 bit Operating System using Windows 7

I think it could be caused by the "period" in the file name. The normal file structure would be pattern.mpc the file ext (.mpc) tells Designer and Windows that Carvewright will open the file. Try taking out the periods where they are and adding .mpc to the end.

In Windows Explorer, go to Organize/ Folder and Search options/View... take the check OFF hide extensions. You will probably see that that the extension was over written with the numbers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG  

Dian is correct. The period is a signal that the next 3 letters are the file extension. This applies to all files, not just Designer.
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Thanks Dian and Lynnfrwd that was exactly the issue. I never would have thought about that as the issue. I really appreciate the help!

Nice catch Dian. I would say this is a small bug in Designer. Most all Windows programs append the file extension to the save name whether or not there is a period in the name.

Awww shucks, thanks guys, just letting my geek side shine.

I want to thank everyone for this thread. I was shaking my head on why a cribbage board I'd just designed did not show up in my CW folder in my documents file. Then I remembered reading this thread. Problem was I had named the file "4 x 21.5 Cribbage Board". It kept telling me the file was saved to that particular folder but did not show up. I changed the title to read "4 x 21-5 Cribbage Board" and it is now visible. Guess I'd never used "." in a file name before.