Thread: Celtic Knots by Tiling

Default Celtic Knots by Tiling

I have seen Celtic knot fonts on the web. Celtic knot patterns are made by "tile" typing the fonts. It got me thinking it would be a cool thing to do for the CW with small patterns on the snap grid.

I made a basic knot with vectors and bubble. Made a pattern out of it and then chopped it into smaller square patterns. I did this by moving the big pattern around on a small square board. Only the part of the pattern on the small square board gets made into a pattern.

By copying, pasting, and moving the pieces around, one can make more complicated knot patterns. Give it a try. (I am not sure that the bubble produces a consistent enough height profile so that all combinations have smooth connections. I have seen some lines which may be real or just be the display.)

I think this technique has some potential.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Celtic Kont Pattrn Maker.PNG   Celtic knot play2.PNG  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bergerud; 10-16-2016 at 03:51 AM.

Dan,

That is awesome and super creative.

Thanks for sharing!

- O

Thanks Oscar.

If anyone would like to play with these, here are the three basic tiles. They are in .png format so you can import, make, and save your own patterns. The first two need to be copied and rotated to complete the set of 9. They are large (4X4) and so you need to resize them and play with the height. Pick a size and use the snap grid.

(Left click on the thumbnail, right click and choose "save image as". Then import into Designer.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 11.png   12.png   22.png  
    Last edited by bergerud; 10-16-2016 at 11:38 AM.

Saving those type of images as a font would allow you to type Celtic patterns in any software that uses your font library. From there you can scale created patterns up or down just by changing font size.

Thanks for sharing.