Thread: Better outfeed roller adjustment

Default Better outfeed roller adjustment

This is an update to the outfeed roller adjusters that I posted some time ago.

The outfeed rollers must be properly set for accurate tracking on long boards. I seem to be doing this often, as my boards are not perfect.

The factory adjusters are a bit tricky to set and require wrenches. Moving the adjusters out from the pivot towards the rollers reduces the sensitivity to turns of the bolts and makes them easier to adjust. I use 1/4" carriage bolts, a couple of wing nuts, and tee nuts at each corner. Screw one wing nut all the way onto the carriage bolt and tighten with pliers (thread lock is also a good idea) so that these two parts become essentially one. To adjust, I load the long project board and lower the machine's head. I loosen each bolt so that the roller is free of the board, raise the roller to the board by hand, adjust the carriage bolt height with the upper wing nut to remove the slack, then tighten the lower wing nut. Quick and easy.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161014_104755.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	665.0 KB 
ID:	82170

Great Idea. Been having the same issue.
    Thank you.
    Don

This also reduces/eliminates the stress on the hinge. One of mine is broken and superglue isn't holding it.
    Thanks
    Clint
    CarveWright StartU team member
    Web Site WWW.clintscustomcarving.com