Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Not sure what to call this issue

Thanks for the thought, Dian and Dan. I thought of that as well and while I have re-formatted my cards, I used 2 different cards and got the same result. I also didn't have an issue with my other CW on the same projects. To be safe I will reformat and update...
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com
    Facebook Page: click FB button on web page

Bessemer, MI (shop location)
    Lake Gogebic, MI (where I hang my hat)

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtyme View Post
    AN UPDATE and more QUESTIONS!!

I have given this a lot of thought and perhaps I need to add some detail to make sure I am heading in the right direction. I put together a quick test carve after thoroughly cleaning my machine. A screen shot of the design is attached. It was on an 8" long by 4" wide cherry board. The carve depth of the rectangle is .125 and the text is with a 90 degree v-bit with the "bold" button off.

I placed the board in the machine and selected the test project. It ran through the initial measurements just fine and asked for the 90 degree v-bit. After loading it, it went through the bit recognition process just fine and then asked for the 1/16" carving bit. I loaded that bit and it went through the recognition process and began carving. It carved the 1/8" deep rectangle just fine. It then asked for the 90 v-bit. After I loaded it and hit "enter" it immediately didn't run as it usually does. Normally when I load a bit and hit "enter", the cut motor gives it a quick spin before it starts the bit measurement process. It did that with the 1/16 carve bit, but when I hit enter after loading the 90 v-bit, it was an anemic spin and a jerky bit cking process.

When the process was finally at the part where the display read "carving figure", it moved all the way to the left and stopped. The display said "check cut motor". I hit "enter" and the bit lowered and without the cut motor running, it started to scratch the surface of the previously carved area.

I have tried 3 different projects and it only does this using a 90 degree bit in a previously carved area. Is this a coincidence or something related to adding text to a carved area?

Is this a sign of a bad FFC cable as Al mentioned before? I certainly don't mind changing the cable, but if there are other potential issues, I would like to make a single part order with any other potential culprits.

Thank you all once again for any help with this. This is my first issue with either of my machines after about 800 hours of carving so I am in new territory...

Attachment 82189

First question? Do you have Conforming Vectors of the correct name for putting TEXT in a Carved Region? Is it enabled in Designer?

Second... Did you try the seat belt trick on the right side switch.... I am thinking the right side switch is intermittent.

The X Termination board... With 2 machines I would swap the boards.... Thinking a bad board....

Have you done maintenance on the Y Gearbox replacing the bearings and have you checked the cut motor brushes?

AL
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

Quote Originally Posted by Digitalwoodshop View Post
    First question? Do you have Conforming Vectors of the correct name for putting TEXT in a Carved Region? Is it enabled in Designer?

Second... Did you try the seat belt trick on the right side switch.... I am thinking the right side switch is intermittent.

The X Termination board... With 2 machines I would swap the boards.... Thinking a bad board....

Have you done maintenance on the Y Gearbox replacing the bearings and have you checked the cut motor brushes?

AL
    Thank you for the great suggestions, AL.

1) I do have conforming vectors and it is enabled in Designer.

2) I didn't do the seat belt trick as the CW only seems to act up when it has a v bit mounted and is carving text (especially in a carve region). Using any other bit or function seems to be just fine.

3) The X board could certainly be a problem, but I have some tight deadlines and need the second machine to stay in operation.

4) I replaced the cut motor brushes about 50 hours ago in both machines, but didn't replace the bearings. They seem to be very sound and I haven't had issues other than with this operation. They are probably due to be replaced just based on hours.

I may just have to send the machine in to LHR to have them go through it. While reasonably mechanically inclined (and do read instructions ), I would hate to do more damage while trying to fix something. I was really hoping this wasn't going to be a big issue, but afraid it may be given how it is acting....
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com

"He who wants by the yard, but gives by the inch, should be kicked by the foot"...

It may be a problem with the controller. Configuration data is stored in controller memory and some may have been lost. Maybe you should give LHR a call. You may be able to upload a fix.

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    It may be a problem with the controller. Configuration data is stored in controller memory and some may have been lost. Maybe you should give LHR a call. You may be able to upload a fix.
    Thanks, Dan. Good suggestion. Will give it a shot...
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com

Not sure this will fix the depth issue, but did you run the Check Cut Motor Fix?
    http://forum.carvewright.com/showthr...=cut+motor+fix
    CarveWright CX Packaged System - starting at $2000
    CarversClub 1 Year Subscription - $150.00/year
    Adv. Support w/out CC membership - $25.00/issue
    CarveWright Community Forum - PRICELESS!

Thank you for the suggestion, Connie. I had done that a while ago and never had an issue until recently. I spoke to Victor a bit ago from LHR. Nice guy with lots of good suggestions. Bottom line is it is time for the experts at LHR to work their magic. Machine is back in its original box with original packing waiting for UPS to take on its trip to recovery ....
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com

Let us know what the final verdict turns out to be. (I hope it is not that you need a new controller.)

Me too, Dan. I will be sure to post the final results...Hopefully, something not too bad....
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com

Well, I just received my CW back from LHR today. There were a few things that needed to be replaced but it seems the culprit was the cut motor. The machine now has a new CX Style motor. I hope it lasts a long time. LHR also changed some roller bearings which I probably should have done at the last maintenance.

I had to shake my head though as I was carving with my older C version CW today when the newer machine arrived. I was carving the first of 4 large family principal signs that were going to be 5 hour carves each. When the CW finished carving the 1/8" deep carve area, it asked for a 60 degree V bit to start carving the lettering. I loaded the bit and I will be dipped that it did the same thing as the newer machine before I sent it in. It moved along the Y axis and the cut motor ran (somewhat hesitantly) but it didn't carve any letters. Well, I guess went through 3 of the 5 hours and will have to start again on a new panel. I did get the Y axis error E05-0314 ... I checked the Y belt and it did seem a little loose, so I re-adjusted the spring pulley. I do have an extra Y belt and some new bearings, but sure hope it isn't another cut motor...ouch!! Any thoughts would be appreciated...

More info... went back to the machine to try a test carve. It consisted of a carved area with v text in the bottom of the carved area. this time the machine didn't even carve the carved area. It went through bit selection and when it was supposed to start the carve region it just quit and I got a "check motor" message. Is there a way to ck the cut motor out???
    Last edited by Bigtyme; 12-05-2016 at 04:32 PM. Reason: More info
    John
    www.jdmwoodworks.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast