Thread: oil paint bubbles up once lacquer is applied but not with polyurethane

Default oil paint bubbles up once lacquer is applied but not with polyurethane

I am attempting to work with lacquer, I applied it to 2 projected that were painted using Sharpie oil based markers. they bubbled up. I don't have this issue with poly. Any suggestions on how to correct.

Maybe you should try water based markers.

What would be the difference on the finished product compared to oil based. Never tried water based

The colors might not be as rich. Once sealed under lacquer, it is fine though. Experiment.

solvent based finishes can dissolve some paints/markers... Acrylic paints will start breaking down if you apply shellac for instance... Sharpie inks will melt also with shellac. I don't use lacquer that much because of the odor and flammable fumes but it's definitely considered a solvent based finish because it melts into the previous applications. You would need to somehow protect the paints with a sealant that won't dissolved under the solvent based finish you are going to apply
    John

I start out with a very light coat, let it dry and then build up several coats after that.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Quote Originally Posted by wpickrel View Post
    I am attempting to work with lacquer, I applied it to 2 projected that were painted using Sharpie oil based markers. they bubbled up. I don't have this issue with poly. Any suggestions on how to correct.
    I spray lacquer all the time. It's mostly what I use but I prefer polyurethane when I have the time. Try spraying two coats of de-waxed shellac first. Shellac is alcohol based so it's not likely to dissolve the oil base. Especially if applied in light coats and lightly buffed between coats with 400 grit sandpaper or 0000 steel wool. I like Zinsser rattle can spray or an HVLP spray gun for larger areas or projects. It will even work good with poly.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 04-23-2018 at 12:27 PM.
    Steve