Thread: Buying a "New" Compucarve

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Buying a "New" Compucarve

Hello everyone, I owned a Carvewright several years ago but didn't keep it long enough to learn. I have a project I need completing and decided to purchase another machine and commit myself this time. I found one for sale that is advertised as never been used. Its somewhere between 5-10 years old and missing only the card. I have a few questions if anyone would be inclined to help answer?

1. I assume with no card there will be no software licensing? How much am I looking at to purchase the sw license?

2. How much does a replacement card cost?

3. The project I'm wanting to tackle is using a pine 2x4 and creating a half rope molding to be used as a door casing. Something like the picture posted, 3 1/2 inches wide and 80 inches tall. I figure I can either purchase the scanning probe and duplicate the sample piece I have or purchase the rotary attachment glue to 2x4's together and cut the piece in half when I'm finished. Either way, it sounds advanced "to me" and wondering what particular software I would need for my machine to accomplish this task?

4. The person selling the machine has no idea how it works and stated without the card they are unable to obtain any information from the board when powering the unit on. Is this an accurate statement?

5. How can I tell what model this machine is to know what upgrades will be "necessary" to accomplish my woodworking project?

I honestly can't afford a new machine and don't want to make a purchase that will require lots of additional funds to be able to use it for my purpose. Are there any particular upgrades besides the choice of probe or rotary I will need that you recommend for an older machine? ie Rock Chuck, dust vac system, etc?

Thank you everyone for reading and I appreciate any and all input from a newbie to the most experienced users!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rope Door Casings.JPG