Thread: Buying a "New" Compucarve

1. Default Buying a "New" Compucarve

Hello everyone, I owned a Carvewright several years ago but didn't keep it long enough to learn. I have a project I need completing and decided to purchase another machine and commit myself this time. I found one for sale that is advertised as never been used. Its somewhere between 5-10 years old and missing only the card. I have a few questions if anyone would be inclined to help answer?

1. I assume with no card there will be no software licensing? How much am I looking at to purchase the sw license?

2. How much does a replacement card cost?

3. The project I'm wanting to tackle is using a pine 2x4 and creating a half rope molding to be used as a door casing. Something like the picture posted, 3 1/2 inches wide and 80 inches tall. I figure I can either purchase the scanning probe and duplicate the sample piece I have or purchase the rotary attachment glue to 2x4's together and cut the piece in half when I'm finished. Either way, it sounds advanced "to me" and wondering what particular software I would need for my machine to accomplish this task?

4. The person selling the machine has no idea how it works and stated without the card they are unable to obtain any information from the board when powering the unit on. Is this an accurate statement?

5. How can I tell what model this machine is to know what upgrades will be "necessary" to accomplish my woodworking project?

I honestly can't afford a new machine and don't want to make a purchase that will require lots of additional funds to be able to use it for my purpose. Are there any particular upgrades besides the choice of probe or rotary I will need that you recommend for an older machine? ie Rock Chuck, dust vac system, etc?

Thank you everyone for reading and I appreciate any and all input from a newbie to the most experienced users!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Rope Door Casings.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by whitesnstripes View Post
    Hello everyone, I owned a Carvewright several years ago but didn't keep it long enough to learn. I have a project I need completing and decided to purchase another machine and commit myself this time. I found one for sale that is advertised as never been used. Its somewhere between 5-10 years old and missing only the card. I have a few questions if anyone would be inclined to help answer?

1. I assume with no card there will be no software licensing? How much am I looking at to purchase the sw license?
    With approved ownership (for a used machine the original owner will need to notify CarveWright that he sold it to you) you are able to down load the free version (1.187) of the software. The card is only used to upload your project so that you can place it into the machine to be carved.

2. How much does a replacement card cost? https://store.carvewright.com/home.php?cat=289

3. The project I'm wanting to tackle is using a pine 2x4 and creating a half rope molding to be used as a door casing. Something like the picture posted, 3 1/2 inches wide and 80 inches tall. I figure I can either purchase the scanning probe and duplicate the sample piece I have or purchase the rotary attachment glue to 2x4's together and cut the piece in half when I'm finished. Either way, it sounds advanced "to me" and wondering what particular software I would need for my machine to accomplish this task
    If using the rotary jig you will to purchase Designer Pro. You can only carve 13" long pieces at a time.

4. The person selling the machine has no idea how it works and stated without the card they are unable to obtain any information from the board when powering the unit on. Is this an accurate statement? True, you need the card inserted into the machine in order to activate the on board computer.

5. How can I tell what model this machine is to know what upgrades will be "necessary" to accomplish my woodworking project

The model/version is indicated by the first letter of the machine serial number A,B,C

I honestly can't afford a new machine and don't want to make a purchase that will require lots of additional funds to be able to use it for my purpose. Are there any particular upgrades besides the choice of probe or rotary I will need that you recommend for an older machine? ie Rock Chuck, dust vac system, etc?

If it still has the old quick change chuck you should upgrade to the CarveTight chuck. Dust collection would also be a top priority upgrade as well. If you plan on trying the get an exact match the scanning probe would be a good choice.

Add up what needs to be purchased for the old machine and compare that to what you would be spending for a new machine that includes the Designer pro software and one year warranty. There is a fall sale going on right now also.

Thank you everyone for reading and I appreciate any and all input from a newbie to the most experienced users!
    ​See my comments included in the quoted message.
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

Another thing to consider is that if they have a machine and no card/ card reader, there is the possibility that it was stolen. This happened recently. I would call LHR (Carvewright) first thing in the morning with the serial number.

I do not believe anyone that has a "never used" machine would have discarded the card and reader.

Quote Originally Posted by DianMayfield View Post
    Another thing to consider is that if they have a machine and no card/ card reader, there is the possibility that it was stolen. This happened recently. I would call LHR (Carvewright) first thing in the morning with the serial number.

I do not believe anyone that has a "never used" machine would have discarded the card and reader.
    Great point! Yes get the serial number and DO call in to verify..
    RingNeckBlues
    My patterns on the Depot
    DC-INSERT It Just Sucks!

Proven to out perform all others!
    Buy CarveWright
    Colorado FaceBook Users Group

All patterns and projects that I share on the CarveWright forum are for your personal carving purpose. They are not to be shared, sold or posted on any other web site without permission from RingNeckBlues Designs.

If you are purchasing it for the sole purpose of carving that rope, don't. You can buy it much cheaper than you can make it. You will also need the deep carve 3.xx software and deep carve carving bits (they break easy for beginners) to make that big of a rope.

I would not recommend the rotory jig and software for this. It would take forever to carve and align 13" segments.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 10665762_291639031021415_7979290426303383976_n.jpg  
    Brent

A,B machines, PE,probe,conforming vectors, centerline, 2d,3d,stl and dfx imprt, rotary , 3.xx, Pattern Sculptor
    OS X Yosemite

Woodwork is what I do to pay for my tool addiction.

Unless your getting this machine for less than $300.00 you would be better off buying a new machine.

Likely it may need the A907 upgrade from a 18 pin FFC Cable to the 14 pin Cable, the kit has 2 circuit boards and the cable.

Here is a picture of the old and new board, note the 14 pin version has wings to lock in the big computer cable. You cannot mix 18 pin and 14 pin parts.

The older machines had a Power Supply Problem where the L2 Power Supply Coil would snap and make the machine dead...

The Cut Motor might be the one where the speed magnet is held by heat shrink and will fly off. Newer versions have a plastic sleeve.

And like mentioned already... If the machine has a QC it really should be changed to a CT Chuck....

Early Board Sensors were not glued and the LED's would SNAP....

Inspect the nose of the Cut Motor... They were easy DAMAGED where the case would crack....

So that is 6 EXPENSIVE fixes that you could be into before you know it...

And once a card is plugged into the machine and the Cut Hours looked at... It could have 10 hours from Internal testing before shipping....

Good Luck... Make that less than $200.00.....

And the Rotary Jig is 13 inches.... It does not work in length so a 80 inch rotary and cut in half is a nice dream. I think max length is 72 inches.... You could do 1/2 but like they said it would require a 3 inch bit... and about 20 hours to cut....

Making a JIG to cut it with a Router makes better sense....

AL

http://www.vandykes.com/product.aspx...160926192854:s
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC06248_WEB.jpg   DSC06218_WEB.jpg   DSC06458_WEB.jpg   DSC06653_WEB.jpg  

DSC06680_WEB.jpg   DSC06656_WEB.jpg   DSC06742_WEB.jpg   DSC09540_WEB.jpg  

Last edited by Digitalwoodshop; 09-26-2016 at 02:30 PM.
    Favorite Saying.... "It's ALL About the Brass Roller"..... And "Use MASKING TAPE" for board skipping in the X or breaking bits.

Follow ME on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Accoun...50019051727074

www.PoconoDigitalWoodshop.com

www.AccountabilityTag.com

7. Default

Incredible responses, thank you everyone. I'll inquire on the serial number today and make that call.

I did some extensive searches for the molding and the cheapest I was able to find was $150 per 7 ft section of the half rope 3 1/2 inches wide. I saw them priced as much as $600 each believe it or not! Its really an excuse to get another machine, I've always been captivated by CNC woodworking although it seems very intimidating.

Is it uncommon to find a mentor while learning about the machine? I'm originally from Pasadena, Texas .... kinda neat we're known for more than just Gilley's now!