Thread: V60 burning basswood

Default V60 burning basswood

Haven't done a lot of centerline carves but really like the look. Making a few plaques to give to my kids who live out of state. First carve turned out great, didn't notice any significant burning. Second one not so nice. Seems deeper and a lot of burning.
    New v60 bit, first time ever used on these 2 carves.
    Wood is basswood blanks from Hobby Lobby
    Both carves done using the same sled.
    Checked encoder using the test mode while lowering and raising cutting head, returned to zero each time.
    Thoughts?

Thx, Rick H
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Image2.jpg   Image1.jpg   Image3.jpg   Image4.jpg  

I haven't used basswood, but I do a lot of cedar. Pitch builds up pretty quickly, and I get burning if I don't clean the bit between projects. Brass brush (mines from a gun cleaning kit) and simple green.

The bit can also be slipping in the collet... are you using the split? I save the press-ons from broken bits. Just heat it up with a small torch in a vice, and the stub falls out. this could have caused the difference in depth.. if it slipped.

Just something to look

Am using 1/4 inch shaft and the rock chuck, no collet. Did check the bit and didn't find any sign of gumming but will be sure and give it a good cleaning before doing the next one.
    Thx Rick H

Could the wood be wet? I have noticed that moisture content can lead to burning. Fibers dragging instead of cutting off cleanly??

I think Dian is right. Sap and pitch can build up on the surfaces of the bit and even a small amount can cause burning. CMT Formula 2050 blade and bit cleaner works really good to clean them. Especially after soaking for a little while. The bad side is if the dirty solvent gets on your hands, fingers, or clothes and allowed it dry it is difficult to remove. It's appears to be some form of detergent and doesn't seem to be toxic but disposable gloves should be used. A touch-up of the cutting surfaces with a diamond hone helps too.

I honestly believe that a lot of the problem could be solved if we had some control of the bit eg. speed, plunge rate feed rate, etc.
    Last edited by SteveNelson46; 09-20-2016 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Wording
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by bergerud View Post
    Could the wood be wet? I have noticed that moisture content can lead to burning. Fibers dragging instead of cutting off cleanly??
    You may have hit a possibility. The first plague was done on a piece that has been on my shelf for a long time. The second on was new. One would 'assume' they would be kiln dried, but we all know what assuming will do. I also noticed more 'fuzzies' in the letters.

Steve,
    Will try your cleaner, sounds like the easiest way to make short the bit is clean.

Thx, Rick H